Skip to main content


22:54 20th October 2009

Report: Royals suffer QPR defeat

QPR 4 (Buzsaky 32, Simpson 39, Vine 71, Agyemang 83)
Reading 1 (Howard 86)

Reading suffered a heavy defeat at QPR this Tuesday night after a highly eventful game at Loftus Road.

QPR went down to ten men on 32 minutes when Ben Watson was shown a second yellow for taking a free kick too quickly, but Akos Buzsaky then took the set piece legally and curled it brilliantly into the corner to make it 1-0.

Rangers striker Jay Simpson volleyed an all-important second goal soon afterwards, and Simon Church then hit the post with a free kick just before half time.

Incredibly, Reading were also reduced to ten men within just ten seconds of the start of the second half, skipper Ivar Ingimarsson dismissed for a second yellow; both very harsh decisions by referee Hall. It was a huge blow not only in terms of losing our captain, but also because it threw out our gameplan, Brendan Rodgers having made two substitutions at half time in a bid to get back in the game.

The match became incredibly open, and Rowan Vine then Patrick Agyemang notched for the home side late on before Brian Howard scored a last-gasp consolation goal.

Defeat was a huge disappointment, and we quickly look to Monday's game with Leicester as our next opportunity to get back on track and move back up the table again.

QPR (4-4-2): Cerny; Ramage, Borrowdale, Gorkss, Stewart (c); Buzsaky (Mahon 66), Watson, Routledge, Faurlin; Simpson (Vine 54), Taarabt (Agyemang 75)
Subs: Heaton, Hall, Alberti, Ainsworth
Booked: Borrowdale (foul 24), Faurlin (foul 44)
Sent off: Watson (two yellows; foul 19, taking free kick too quickly 31)

Reading (4-4-2): Federici; Tabb (Howard HT) , O'Dea, Ingimarsson (c), Mills; Cisse (Sigurdsson HT) , Gunnarsson, Kebe, McAnuff; Church (Robson-Kanu 60), Long
Subs: Hamer, Pearce, Karacan, Rasiak
Sent off: Ingimarsson (two yellows; fouls 38 & 46)

Attendance: 11,900

Ref: A Hall

First half
The game started fairly even, and the most obvious talking point in the early stages was referee Hall's use of the whistle for even the most minor of supposed infringements.

The home side were the first to chance their arm, Adel Taarabt shooting at goal after cutting in from the left but Adam Federici saving relatively easily.

Then Jobi McAnuff did very well to cut in down the left hand side and work some space, but tried to shoot from an acute angle when perhaps he would have been better served finding a man in the middle.

Both sides were having chances, and Ivar Ingimarsson got in a superb block on 18 minutes on the edge of his own box.
Then Kalifa Cisse and Jimmy Kebe both had decent chances on the edge of the box but but couldn't keep their efforts down after the ball broke to each of our Malian duo.

Kebe was also very unfortunate to be pulled back for offside after Cisse put him in from a quick free kick. It looked a let off for the home side and our winger was clean through.

Right on the half hour the game reached a pivotal moment - and incredibly both sides had real reason to feel aggrieved with the referee's decisions. First of all, Rangers were awarded a highly, highly dubious free kick in a shooting position 25 yards out. As our players understandably questioned the decision, Rangers midfielder Ben Watson tried to take the free kick quickly, and was very harshly shown a second yellow card for his troubles.

If we thought that dismissal would give us a lift, it proved not to be as Akos Buzsaky stepped up and legally curled home the free kick superbly to make it 1-0. So ultimately Rangers had scored from a hugely questionable free kick - but also went down to ten men at the same time.

Eight minutes later it was 2-0. As Reading tried to press high up the pitch and put pressure on the home side, Rangers worked the ball wide to Wayne Routledge. His cross into the box was a cracker, and Jay Simpson turned home a left footed volley right at the back post.

Reading did all they could to rally, and just before half time Simon Church hit the outside of the post with a 20-yard free kick, home keeper Radek Cerny rooted to the spot.

And there was still time for McAnuff to fire an effort just over the crossbar only moments before the interval came.

Second half
Brendan Rodgers made a double change at half time, but within ten seconds of the restart his gameplan was taken away from him. Ingimarsson slid in on Simpson, and referee Hall showed him a second yellow card. This challenge was a foul, yes, but a yellow was harsh, as was his previous booking in the first half - and our skipper had arguably only made two genuine fouls all evening.

So it was ten against ten, and substitute Gylfi Sigurdsson saw an effort blocked soon after - then Shane Long headed over a very good chance from only eight yards out.

Rangers were always dangerous on the break, and the ball was spending little time in the middle of the park. Substitute Rowan Vine missed a great chance - then saw Federici make a good save from him a minute later.

It had become incredibly open, and Kebe was our main threat. He went on a superb run down the right, resulting in an almighty scramble inside the home area. Straight away though Rangers broke and Matt Mills had to put in a great block to keep them out and deny a decent chance.

Again Kebe went on a cracking run soon after, and once more Sigurdsson saw a shot blocked. Hal Robson-Kanu then tested Radek Cerny with a curling left-footed effort.

Rangers were always dangerous on the break, and with 18 minutes left Vine made it 3-0 with a neat finish at the near post when given time to pick his spot and roll home.

Patrick Agyemang almost found the net within seconds of coming on, and it needed a very good save from Adam Federici to keep out the big striker as he bore down on goal.

Reading were trying valiantly to get a goal, and Brian Howard forced Cerny to tip over from his very good effort.

Then Long spurned another good chance, shooting over from eight yards after more Kebe excellence out wide.

It was a game where the ball was just going from end to end at will, and once more Sigurdsson had an effort blocked. Then Agyemang broke clear all too easily and rounded Federici very skilfully to make it 4-0.

Finally we had a consolation, Robson-Kanu doing well to find Howard, who finished rather nicely high into the net.

Then we had another effort blocked on the line, once more Kebe the creator. The game was well over by now though, and there was huge disappointment come the final whistle.

    Data provided by Press Association