Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Graeme Murty




Date of birth






Murty began his career as a trainee with York City back in 1991, previously having had trials with Villa, Leeds and Stockport County. In March 1993 he turned professional, being given a place within the first team starting the 1995/96 season.

He was part of the York team that to everyone’s disbelief, thumped Manchester United 3-0 in the league cup away at Old Trafford – also scoring in their surprise conquest over Everton in the same competition.

1998 saw the right-back move to Reading for a fee of £700,000, brought in by manager Tommy Burns. He hit the ground running after joining up with the Royals, Middlesbrough-born Murts had overcome a spate of injuries to twice be named Player of the Season - in 2001/02 and then again in 2003/04.

Much had been made of the fact that virtually every outfield player had managed to find the back of the net during a season which had seen the Royals score an incredible 97 goals and lose just twice, winning the title as early as April Fool’s Day and gaining promotion to the Premier League for the first time in the club’s history.

That goal tally had been upped to 98 as the final game of an unbelievable season neared a 1-1 end against QPR…then…Nicky Shorey’s cross into the penalty box hit Richard Langley’s arm and referee Darren Drysdale pointed to the spot.

Murty strode forward and sent Madejski Stadium into delirium as he stroked home from the spot to score only his second ever Reading goal since signing from York City.

As he bundled Kingsley to the ground, the entire squad in turn bundled on top of him, he knew his goal had helped the Royals break the record points total in a league season and that his team were bound for the Premier League!

With just six minutes of the season remaining, the inspirational skipper had scored the winner to cap off a fairy-tale campaign.

He stood one of Reading’s most consistent performers at right-back, wearing the captain’s armband after Ady Williams’ departure.

The Scotland international went on to lead the club to an 8th-place finish and almost into Europe after our first season in the top flight.

After ten years as a Royal, he rightly earned a testimonial at Madejski Stadium, shortly before hanging up his boots, aged 35.