Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Scott Howie




Date of birth






Howie graduated from Strathclyde Business School in 1994 receiving a BA, at the same time he was playing football for Clyde and Norwich, before moving to Motherwell that October for a fee of £300,000.

His form while at Motherwell saw him earn a call-up to the National squad, although he never made an appearance for Scotland at full international level.

When Motherwell were besieged with financial problems, Howie was loaned out to Coventry shortly before joining Reading on transfer deadline day for £30,000, eight days after manager Terry Bullivant had been sacked and just a few months before Madejski Stadium was built.

At the end of his first season Reading were found propping up the bottom of the table with a mere 42 points and were subsequently relegated back down to Division Two.

Howie was part of the last ever competitive match to take place at Elm Park, on 3rd May 1998, playing between the sticks for the Royals he was unable to keep out a 57th minute strike for Craig Bellamy as Norwich left the victors.

The Madejski was used from the beginning of the 1998/99 season, where Howie’s first winning appearance came in a 2-1 win over Stoke City, despite picking up a yellow card for his efforts.

In spite of keeping nine clean sheets that season, Reading fell away towards the end, only winning one of the last seven games and ending up 11th overall.

After appearing as a regular in following season, Howie’s missed out on the 2000/01 season, losing his place to Phil Whitehead, as the Royals narrowly missed out on promotion, losing to Walsall 3-2 after extra time.

He was released by Reading that summer where he joined Bristol Rovers, and was awarded Player of the Year in his first season with 57 appearances across the League and Cup, keeping 15 clean sheets.

In May 2003 he left Rovers, going on to play for Shrewsbury Town and Cambridge United towards the end of his career.

He played for Shrewsbury in the 2004 Conference Play-off final, saving three spot-kicks to promote the Shrews back to the Football League on their first attempt.

He made 33 appearances for Cambridge before retiring from football in 2006.