Ready for sixth form and love football?
The Elite football studies course at John Madejski Academy offers bespoke educational packages to suit your academic ability. You will be able to study for A Levels or Vocational Qualifications whilst participating in one of the most successful football courses in the UK. Join one of the most prestigious elite football and education programmes in the country.
- Academic Studies – A wide range of Academic and Vocational qualifications
- Coach Education – Level 1 & 2, First Aid, Child Protection
- Football – Training and Games
- Fitness – Conditioning & Recovery
- Develop as a player – technically, physically and mentally
- Develop as a person – socially and professionally
- Learn and achieve qualifications with top grades
- Open future Pathways:
- Football Career
- Work Hard
- Michael Butcher - Director of Football (JMA) & Team Coach
- Patrick Carey - Director of Football (RFC) & Team Coach
- Support from Reading FC
- Goalkeeping Coach
Football Courses at JMA
|AS Levels||A2||BTEC Level 3||GCSE|
|AS Art||A2 Art||BTEC Level 3 IT||English|
|AS Biology||A2 Biology||BTEC Level 3 Sport (Dip / Ext Dip)||Maths|
|AS Business Studies||A2 Business Studies||BTEC Level 3 Retail|
|AS Drama & Theatre Studies||A2 English||BTEC Level 3 Hospitality|
|AS English||A2 History||BTEC Level 3 Public Services|
|AS Geography||A2 Media||1st 4 Sport Coaching|
|AS Government & Politics||A2 PE|
|AS History||A2 Psychology|
|AS Maths||A2 Sociology|
Why choose John Madejski Academy?
- Pupils are exposed to regular opportunities to be seen by Reading FC and Premiership scouts and Academy coaches, with links to the full scholarship programme
- Access to Reading Football Club facilities and expertise
- Expert fitness testing, strength and conditioning training
- Nutrition programme
- Physiotherapy assessments and care
- Match analysis programme
- Match day tickets
Exit routes include University football scholarships in the USA and UK, professional contacts at UK and European clubs and coaching opportunities.
Be a part of football success
- 2012 ESFA National Schools U18 Champions
- Football Youth Conference Champions
- Tactic Football League and League Cup Champions
- Voted Reading Secondary Sports School of the Year and Reading Secondary Sports Team of the Year
- 2012 Nike Chance UK winner – a John Madejski Academy student
- We compete in the Football Conference Youth Alliance and the Premier League U19 Development League
- Trained by UEFA A licence coaches
Book a trial
For more information and to book a place on the trials please contact:
0118 937 0200
In partnership with Reading College, we are offering entry level courses to college students (aged 16-18).
A 1-year course with an alternative way of learning, there is the option to complete a further year as well.
The course focuses on LASER Level 2 Diploma in Sport and Enterprise in the Community (QCF).
- FA Safeguarding Children Workshop
- FA Level 1 Introduction to First Aid in Football (IFAIF)
- FA Level 1 in Coaching Football
- Functional skills (Maths, English and ICT)
- Improve awareness of different cultures, issues, minority communities
- Improve the standard of volunteering delivery
- Increase volunteering within communities
- Increase the number of accredited, qualified people
- Increase and sustain participation in sport and physical activity amongst people
- Increase and sustain participation in sport or physical activity amongst 16-18yrs
The Reading FC Traineeship Course is a chance for young people to get experience in work preparation training for 16-18, who are not in work but want to work within the sport industry. Work placements are provided by Reading FC Community Trust which will offer meaningful work experience / develop work place skills and provide an opportunity to prove them self’s to Reading FC though attendance, application and attitude.
Qualifications you will achieve...
- Functional skills (Maths/English)
- Level 1 Certificate in Employability
- Level 1 Principles of Sport
What you can expect from us...
- 12 weeks of Work Preparation Training (starting March)
- Training in CV writing
- Interview preparation
- Opportunities in assisting Youth Club / Premier League Kicks sessions
- Opportunities to shadow Reading FC staff
- Opportunities in assisting After School Clubs
- Travel expenses provided (subject to status)
Meeting the needs of young people...
- Developing personal/social skills
- Developing independent working skills
- Developing team work/career guidance/opportunities
Premier League Primary Stars uses the appeal of the Premier League and Reading Football Club to inspire children to learn, be active and develop important life skills.
Reading FC Community Trust are running this programme which all primary schools in Berkshire are able to access in a variety of ways. The Programme aims to deliver PE and sport, English, Maths and PSHE. With the use of professional staff from the trust to work alongside teachers to deliver educational sessions.
As well as club support, schools can also get resources through the online platform (plprimarystars.com) to help improve comfidence and skills in deliver all subjects.
How schools get involved...
For schools to get involved contact Chris Knott by calling 0118 968 2151 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to either book the school in or to arrange a meeting to discuss in more detail what we offer. Schools will all receive a leaflet explaining what we do and what the offer is with contact details attached.
Benefits of joining...
- Mentoring for teachers in PE (all sports covered)
- Support and advice from the Reading FC Community coaches
- Developing local teachers skills in sports coaching
- Working to improve confidence and skills in PE
- CPD courses available for staff to come to Reading FC
- Fun, enjoyable sessions with lots of learning taking place
- Reading FC Community staff used as role models within your school
In the first year the Reading FC Community Trust mentored 23 teachers through the programme. This year we would like to mentor up to 40 teachers through the programme and are always on the lookout for more teachers and schools to get involved.
The schools have all said that the benefits for the children participating and the staff involved have been high and that the response from staff is that they feel they are learning ways to input their knowledge better into the sessions they deliver throughout the week.
For more information please visit plprimarystars.com.
Home learning and fun activities...
Our Trust coaches, in conjunction with Primary Stars, have put together a number of fun Reading-related worksheets for kids to keep their minds active across a number of different subjects.
The resources range from wordsearches to maths challenges, from board games to anagrams, from kit design and FIFA card templates to crosswords - there is something for all.
So take a look and click on the link to download the relevant worksheet...