Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

20 February 2020 Venue Sutton Park Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Leicester City Women
2 - 1
Reading Women

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

✏️ Report | Royals Women defeated in the Fifth Round

120 minutes of football needed, but no reward for the Royals in Women's FA Cup

20 February 2020

Reading FC Women were taken to extra time in the Fifth Round of the Women's FA Cup, but a late winner from Leicester City took the Foxes through to the last eight on the night.

A brace from substitute Paige Bailey-Gayle was the difference between the sides, after Kelly Chambers' side had gone ahead from the spot in the first half.

The game started with early minutes of consistent Royals pressure, the first chance Maz Pacheco looped a ball over the defence, but the Leicester 'keeper towered above everyone else and collected calmly.

The second Reading effort saw Millie Farrow put through on goal, but the 'keeper again got the better of the attack and got down well to save.

Farrow was played through again shortly afterwards, smashing it home but the linesman had no hesitation to raise his flag.

Lisa-Marie Utland also thought she had doubled the lead later on in the half, but was to be denied by the offside flag as well.

Minutes before the half-time break, the ball was again in the Leicester box and looked as if Farrow was going to smash one home, but a last-ditch tackle in the area saw the referee point straight to the spot.

Brooke Chaplen stepped up, who set her sight on burying in the corner. She did just that - with some help from goalkeeper Demi Lambourne who got the faintest of touches, but not enough to prevent the first goal of the game.


Half-time | Leicester City Women 0-1 Reading FC Women

Leicester started the second half the better of the sides, as they looked to set up a tie against Manchester City in the last eight of the competition.

Reading were tough to break down, however. Chaplen, already on the scoresheet, drove forwards and sent in a high cross to Lisa-Marie Utland who headed goalward, but goalkeeper Lambourne defused the danger and collected.

The game had it's null period, both sides gained and lost possession, but it was Leicester who struck back in the game with 10 minutes remaining, teenage substitute Bailey-Gayle striking from 25 yards which soared past Moloney, smashing the post and over the line to level matters.

The Royals continued to press even being pegged back, but couldn't get that all-important winner. Extra-time would be needed to split the sides.

90 minutes | Leicester City Women 1-1 Reading FC Women

Both sides pressed each others' backline but still couldn't break through. But that was until five minutes from time, when Bailey-Gayle again found herself with some space on the right-hand side of the box.

Her effort was over the top of Moloney, crashing off the crossbar and back down. The referee deemed the ball had crossed the line, and awarded the Foxes what would turn out to be a late winner against the Royals, ending their involvement in this season's Women's FA Cup.


Advertisement block

Advertisement block