Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Royals ease past Brentford

12 December 2012

Under 18s win 5-1 in FA Youth Cup

Brentford under-18s 1
(Hippolyte 72)

Reading under-18s 5
(Kuhl 3, Ikpeazu 38, 43, Keown 79, Murombedzi 81)
Reading’s under-18s swept Brentford aside with a convincing 5-1 to progress to the fourth round of the FA Youth Cup.
Aaron Kuhl fired home in the opening minutes before Uche Ikpeazu bagged his 15th and 16th goals of the season with a quickfire brace just before half time.
Myles Hippolyte pulled one back from the spot but Niall Keown and Shepherd Murombedzi scored in quick succession to secure a 5-1 romp.
Eamonn Dolan’s side, which included the likes of acquainted under-21s players Niall Keown, Aaron Tshibola and Craig Tanner, were on top from the first minute – and opened the scoring in the third.
With the Royals piling forward, Uche Ikpeazu cut back from an acute angle to find Kuhl on the edge of the box – who emphatically fired home.
The Bees missed a guilt-edged chance to pull level when Royals ‘keeper Dan Lincoln had to advance out to deal with the attack, leaving Hippolyte with a golden chance – but he fired over.
Keown, Tanner and Tariqe Fosu all had chances as the dominant Royals searched for a second, but it was left to Ikpeazu to double the lead when the striker placed an effort past Bees’ goalkeeper James Bransgrove in the aftermath of a corner.
Brentford had a golden chance to reduce the deficit but Courtney Stone, clear through on goal, scuffed his effort and Lincoln did well to palm it away.
And the host were punished moments later. Jack Stacey threaded an excellent through ball to Ikpeazu, who notched home with ease to give the Royals a commanding 3-0 lead going into half time.
It was still one-way traffic after the interval – Jake Cooper’s strong header from a corner forced Bransgrove into action again, but the hosts were given a glimmer of hope when referee R Smith pointed to the spot.
Lincoln rushed out of his goal to claim the ball, but made contact with the ominous Michael Onovwigun – who went down. Hippolyte stepped up and coolly converted the spot-kick to grab one back.
The Beers appeared to be finally ascerting some authority into the game, and had a chance to make it 3-2 when Hippolyte burst forward, but the striker fired wide.
This seemed to spring the Royals into life – and any nerves were eradicated when Keown headed home from a corner to put the tie to bed.
Two minutes later, and it was five. Substitute Murombedzi found space down the right and superbly found the corner of the net with less than ten minutes to play.
Reading saw out the game in a professional manner and secured their place in the fourth round of the FA Youth Cup with a 5-1 truimph.
Royals: Lincoln; Amofah, Long, Keown, Cooper; Kuhl, Stacey (Murombedzi 45), Tshibola (Kelly 82), Fosu; Ikpeazu, Tanner (Shama 82).
Subs not used: Moore, Hyam.
Brentford: Bransgrove, Bryan (Milenge 89), Makhosini, Pilbeam, Tomasevic, Stone, Senior, Onovwigun, Moore (Rowe 82), Hippolyte, Stockwell (Maloney 54).
Subs not used: Taylor, Lavender.

Advertisement block