Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

This Royal week...

20 December 2012

A look back at our past

In its second installment on – we look back at what was happening at the club on this week throughout the ages…

The Big Freeze

Back in 1963, the Royals faced Bristol Rovers on Boxing Day - but, although Denis Allen seemed to have given Reading another important win, the game never looked like finishing. A blizzard had raged throughout the game and World Cup referee Ken Ashton was left with no choice but to abandon the game after an hour. That was the last action that Harry Johnston saw his Reading team play and it was also the last time the team played for two months as 'the Big Freeze' set in.

In the news
Royals sign Lloyd Owusu - December 20 2004.

Reading's chief scout Brian McDermott knows all about our new loan striker Lloyd Owusu from his time as Slough Town manager.

The Sheffield Wednesday striker signed on a month's loan this morning and Brian told, "Lloyd was in the youth team at Slough when I was manager there.

"I gave him his debut in a game against Telford, and he scored four goals in that game!

"He did very well for me, but at the end of the season Slough were demoted from the Conference because their ground wasn't up to standard, so I had to sell most of the best players and Lloyd went to Brentford."

A game in history
Bristol City 1-1 Reading, 19 December 2009.

A last gasp equaliser from Simon Church earned the Royals a point at Ashton Gate to stay clear of the relegation zone. Caretaker boss Brian McDermott made the decision to bring the Welshman on, and Church fired a 91st minute strike - but was then sent off for celebrating with the away fans. McDermott said, "I'm just doing the job the chairman has asked me to do and I'll do it to the best of my ability. I'll carry on for as long as I'm needed and see what happens. Had Simon not been sent off I would have fancied our chances of winning the game in injury time with all 11 men."

Advertisement block