Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


4 November 2012

Report: QPR 1-1 Reading

The Royals earned a hard fought point at Loftus Road on Sunday afternoon, in a feisty Premier League encounter live on Sky Sports.`

Brian McDermott's men went in at half time a goal ahead after an impressive display in the first period - as Kaspars Gorkss acrobatically steered home with his left boot, to notch against his former club for the second time this season.

However Djibril Cisse earned a point for the home side after the break, reacting quickly to a fortunate deflection to clip home from close range.

Man of the match Alex McCarthy was on superb form on a number of occasions to keep out shots from Granero and Taarabt, whilst a frantic finish could have seen either side steal al three points - though in the end the spoils were shared.

The Royals started quicker out of the blocks, as a drop of the shoulder from Jason Roberts opened up the Rangers flank and allowed McAnuff to scamper into the box - only to see his low cutback somehow cleared away from danger. 

Jay Tabb was next to stretch his legs, shimmying into the area before rolling a pass to Hunt - who saw his shot deflected off target past a helpless Cesar.

QPR responded with 11 minutes on the clock, as Djibril Cisse danced forward before slamming a shot over the bar from 25 yards.

Junior Hoilett was the next to fire in on goal, as he cracked a fizzing drive inches wide of McCarthy's post from the edge of the box. 

However it was to be the men in yellow who took the lead, and once again it was Kaspars Gorkss who found the net against his old club.

Sean Morrison's effort from Nicky Shorey's corner bounced back off the crossbar, but the giant Latvian was on hand to emphatically fire home an acrobatic strike with his left boot.

Plenty of chances were presenting themselves at either end, and Cisse was guilty of fluffing his lines after 20 minutes as he scuffed a well placed Diakite cross away from goal.  

The majority of Rangers' efforts were raining in on goal from long distance, as McCarthy again saw a drive fly over his crossbar 26 minutes in - this time from Taarabt. 

Brian McDermott's men were posing a more regular and varied threat however - as Tabb cleverly won a free-kick on the edge of the area five minutes later - which Shorey whipped over the crossbar.

At the other end, from a similar position - former Real Madrid man Esteban Granero saw his free-kick brilliantly saved by McCarthy, who dived at full stretch to tip the ball onto the crossbar - before Boswinga blazed the follow up high and wide.


The second period started as the first finished, with a Granero set piece almost levelling the game - though this time the ball whipped just over the upright and into the stands.

At the other end Morrison again found space as Shorey clipped a free-kick into the area, but could only slice a header wide of goal - whilst Mikele Leigertwood did exactly the same moments later, after another pinpoint delivery from Reading's number 3. 

There was a scramble inside the Reading box shortly before the hour mark, as Rangers started to ramp up the pressure in search of an equaliser - though it was hacked away by McCleary after some alert defending - whilst Leigertwood blocked Hoilett's shot moments later.

That type of pressure did indicate that an equaliser was potentially on the way, and so it came to be as Cisse took advantage of a somewhat fortuitous deflection inside the box to nip ahead of McCarthy and chip the ball home.

With their tails up, QPR came forward once more - as McCarthy again had to be fully alert to push away Taarabt's 20 yard drive.

Substitute Jimmy Kebe did provide some respite for the Royals backline, dashing a full 40 yards with the ball at his feet before lashing over the bar.

That in turn seemed to give the visitors some impetus, as good work by McAnuff and Shorey almost presented Roberts with a golden chance - but the striker saw his effort deflected away.

Another second half replacement, Hal Robson-Kanu - also caused problems from yet another Shorey corner kick, but the Academy product could only head over under intense pressure six yards from goal. 

The game was opening up in the last ten minutes, as a Rangers breakaway seemed sure to give Mark Hughes' men the lead with the Royals backline outnumbered in the box - but Taarabt was again denied by more instinctive heroics from McCarthy. 

Leigertwood then shrugged off two challenges to present himself with an opportunity to bag his third goal in as many games - but could only mishit his effort off target.

As five minutes of stoppage time was presented by the forth official, another swift breakaway from the home side almost resulted in Zamora bagging a dramatic winner - but he could only scuff a shot at McCarthy.

There was still time for Hunt to slice a shot wide from a promising position on the left of the area after superb work by the effervescent Tabb - whilst the last kick of the game was another sizzling drive from Cisse, which thankfully flew past the post to confirm a point apiece. 

Advertisement block