Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Alfie wins it!

31 August 2013

Le Fondre penalty seals three points

Yeovil 0
Reading 1 (Le Fondre 77)

The Royals registered their first away win of the season as an Adam Le Fondre penalty was enough to beat Yeovil Town at Huish Park.

Gary Johnson's side were bright early on but Reading grew stronger as the half progressed, and Garath McCleary, Royston Drenthe and Danny Williams all went close.

Yeovil's Andrew Williams troubled Alex McCarthy's goal on two occasions in a lively second half, but it was the Royals who were able to find a winner late on.

Adam Le Fondre was fouled inside the box 14 minutes from time, and belted the awarded penalty past goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey to hand the Royals their first away win of the 2013/14 Sky Bet Championship season - to go with a hard earned first clean sheet of the campaign.

Yeovil Town: Hennessey; Ayling, McAllister (C), Edwards, Webster, Seaborne, Upson, Hayter (Ngoo 84), Ralls (Hoskins 83), Grant (Dawson 84), Williams.

Subs not used: Foley, Tate, Dunn, Twumasi.

Reading: McCarthy, Cummings, Gunter, Morrison (C), Pearce, Guthrie, Karacan, McCleary (Williams 38), Drenthe (Akpan 80), Le Fondre, Blackman (Robson-Kanu 72).

Subs not used: Federici, Gorkss, Mariappa, Pogrebnyak.

Referee: Trevor Kettle

Attendance: 7,396 (2,103 Reading supporters)

First Half 

The injured Wayne Bridge and Jobi McAnuff both missed out as Nigel Adkins' men took to the Huish Park pitch in the Somerset sunshine on Saturday afternoon.

Reading survived a spell of early pressure from the home side, as defender Bryon Webster headed over the bar from a corner before Alex McCarthy was called upon to make a smart save from Edward Upson's long range drive.

Nick Blackman very nearly intercepted a Yeovil back-pass moments before Garath McCleary slalomed past two Glovers defenders and let fly with his left foot - but his fierce effort was just a few inches over Wayne Hennessey's bar.

Drenthe then had a half chance but sliced the ball as it fell awkwardly to him on the left hand side of the area, while James Hayter shot over the bar moments after.

Danny Williams, substituted on for McCleary, made an instant impact as he got hold of the ball inside Yeovil's box after Nick Blackman's excellent twist and turn, but Williams' dangerous cross was hacked away.

The Royals were dominant at this point and went so close once again - Shaun Cummings somehow kept the ball in play at the Glovers' byline and stabbed an effort goalwards, but again the hosts survived.

Nigel Adkins' side went very close once more before the half time whistle as Drenthe tricked his way past three Yeovil players before swinging a cross to the far post, where Williams volleyed wide of the mark.

Second Half

Andrew Williams had two good chances for the hosts after the interval. As Yeovil broke away down the left, Williams let fire but Alex Pearce got something on the shot and it flew over McCarthy's bar, moments before another fierce effort was just wide of the mark.

But Reading soon increased their urgency and ascendancy on the game and went close when Adam Le Fondre slipped in Drenthe on the left hand side of the box - but the Dutchman's drilled effort evaded the goal and everyone in a Reading shirt.

And while the Royals looked to be on top, Yeovil were certainly in the game too. The ball fell nicely to Upson inside our box after Joel Grant's cutback, but his arrowed shot was a yard wide of the goal - moments before Williams' strike from distance was comfortably saved by McCarthy.

The Royals then had a golden opportunity to open the scoring with just under 15 minutes left. Le Fondre scampered down the left chasing the full-back, forcing him into a mistake which allowed the striker to advanced towards goal from a tight angle - and with defenders closing in, Alfie was brought down - and referee Trevor Kettle pointed to the spot.

Up stepped Le Fondre, who smashed the penalty home past goalkeeper Hennessey to give the Royals the lead.

With time running out, the Royals went in search of a second and almost did so when substitute Hal Robson-Kanu found himself in a dangerous position inside Yeovil's box, but his cross was not met by a Reading head.

Williams had an effort on the edge of the area well saved by Hennessey before Yeovil went close to scoring a late equaliser, when substitute Michael Ngoo dived in to attack the ball, by the arms of McCarthy were quicker.

The Royals defended resolutely to keep the Glovers at bay and record their first away win of the season, and a well earned first clean sheet of the campaign.

Advertisement block