Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Late goal gives City win

24 July 2013

Adomah wins it for Robins

Bristol City 1 (Adomah 82)
Reading 0

The Royals went down 1-0 to Bristol City after a late goal from Albert Adomah. The transfer-listed winger produced an excellent finish following a good team move, and his strike proved the difference on the night.

Reading should have at least drawn the game, Chris Gunter and Nick Blackman spurning close-range chances inside the last few minutes. But regardless, 18 men got time on the pitch for the Royals.

Jobi McAnuff and Garath McCleary came closest for the Royals in the first half, both chances created by Dutch winger Royston Drenthe. McCleary created two openings in the second period, first when Adam Le Fondre dinked a tough chance wide, then when Danny Williams couldn't get a full purchase as the ball dropped from Garath's cross. 

City more than played their part in the game, and Adomah's goal came from good team play down their left hand side.

Blackman - one of seven second half changes - had a very good chance to equalise late on after seeing a header cleared off the line, but couldn't keep the rebound down. And then Gunter smacked well over from the edge of the six-yard box right on full time.

Special mention must go to the 271 supporters that made the trip down the M4, and we now look forward to Saturday's home game with Swansea as another opportunity to further step up our preparations for the big kick off against Ipswich on 3rd August.

Team: Federici; Gunter, Bridge (Kelly 73), Gorkss (Mariappa 64), Morrison (Pearce 50); Karacan, Guthrie (Blackman 77); McCleary, McAnuff (c) (Obita 79); Drenthe (Williams HT); Le Fondre (Pogrebnyak 71)
Subs: S Taylor, Cummings, Akpan

Attendance: 2,418 (271 away)

First half:
It was City who created the first chance, a long ball over the top giving Sam Baldock something to chase; the former West Ham man controlled superbly but shot into the side netting at the near post.

On a decent surface the Robins were playing some nice stuff of their own, and Baldock was a lively presence up front for Sean O'Driscoll's side.

As the half wore on Reading began to create a couple of opportunities, firstly when Royston Drenthe played a fabulous throughball for Jobi McAnuff, only for Frank Fielding to save the skipper's drive at goal.

Drenthe then hit a wonderful crossfield pass to Garath McCleary, and he caught a volley nicely but it flew past the near post.

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas was well wide with a speculative effort for City, and Drenthe was then unable to get his shot off at the other end after a decent burst into the area.

Second half:
Kaspars Gorkss forced a save out of Fielding early in the second half, getting a header at goal from Pearce's knockdown.

Then Pearce had to put in an excellent tackle on Albert Adomah to stop the winger's charge into the area.

Just past the hour mark McAnuff did well to go past three challenges and into the area; he wanted a penalty but the ref - who had only just come onto the pitch himself - gave nothing.

On the other flank McCleary went on a 70-yard run that had even the home fans applauding, but Adam Le Fondre wasn't able to hit the target from a hanging cross.

Reading were upping the ante, and another dangerous McCleary cross fell to Williams, who couldn't catch the loose ball well enough and City cleared.

Adomah then fired over from distance, before Chris Gunter wanted a penalty but the referee was well placed and not interested.

With eight minutes to go City scored with a very nice team move - Greg Cunningham showing great feet down the left, Ryan Taylor producing a backheel and Adomah smashing high into the roof of the net.

Nick Blackman had a good chance in the last few moments, firstly seeing a header cleared off the line before hitting the rebound over.

There was then another penalty shout, this time on Williams, but again the ref was unmoved.

Then Chris Gunter had a real opportunity to level matters with the last kick of the game - but fired well over from McCleary's low ball.

Overall it was a decent game, and with more game time under the belt we are a step closer to the Ipswich game in ten days' time.

Advertisement block