Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 02/11/2013

2 November 2013

Report: Owls hit five

Sheff Wed 5 (Fryatt 19, 61, Antonio 26, Morrison og 43, Wickham 57) 
Reading 2 (Pogrebnyak 34, Le Fondre 90) 

The Royals were left stunned by Sheffield Wednesday after an afternoon to forget at Hillsborough. 

After a fairly bright start from Nigel Adkins' men, in which Chris Kirkland was forced into a couple of early saves - Matty Fryatt gave the home side the lead after some hesitant defending from the visitors - and in truth the Owls never looked back.  

Former Reading man Michail Antonio scored a stunning second, before Pavel Pogrebnyak appeared to give Reading some hope by heading home Chris Gunter's cross - only for a freak Sean Morrison own goal to restore Wednesday's two goal lead before the break.  

Again the away side created chances early on in the second half, but debutant Connor Wickham lashed home minutes later after more good work by Antonio - before strike partner Fryatt bagged a brace to round off a lightning fast counter attack. 

Substitute Adam Le Fondre's late penalty didn't do too much to paper over the cracks of what was a horrible day for the men from Berkshire, who will want to move on quickly for a giant home clash with QPR next weekend.  

Sheff Wed: Kirkland, Buxton, Reda Johnson (C), Roger Johnson, McPhail (Coke 59), Olofinjana, Zayatte, Helan, Antonio (Nuhiu 85), Fryatt (J Johnson 78), Wickham 
Subs: Martinez, Mattock, Llera, Nuhiu, J Johnson, Coke, Palmer 

Reading: McCarthy, Kelly, Gunter, Pearce, Morrison (C), Baird, Guthrie (Le Fondre 67), McCleary (Blackman 70), Obita, Robson-Kanu, Pogrebnyak
Subs: Federici, Cummings, Gorkss, Akpan, McAnuff, Blackman, Le Fondre 

Booked: Kelly (foul 51)
Referee: Eddie Ilderton 

The half opened with a lively run from Jordan Obita, who drove into the left side of the area before forcing a stop from Chris Kirkland. Full back Chris Gunter also kept the former England stopper on his toes as he tried one from the edge of the box with his weaker left foot, as the Royals came out of the traps quickly.  

However, Wednesday were to grab an emphatic hold on the game as the half wore on. Matty Fryatt opened the scoring as the Royals were caught out by a long ball over the top, Alex McCarthy left stranded as the Owls' dangerman crashed home into an empty net in the 19th minute. Still reeling, Nigel Adkins' men were then punished by their former player - as Michail Antonio made it 2-0. 

It was a fantastic strike from the enigmatic winger, who chased a ball down the left lank, lobbed it over Stephen Kelly and curled home pat McCarthy from 25 yards. 

And they weren't done there; Fryatt bounding down the left hand side before seeing his cross come shot edge narrowly wide.  

Hal Robson-Kanu attempted to drag his side back into the game after the half hour mark, but could only toe poke wide after cutting in from the right, though the visiting support didn't have too long to wait for something to cheer about as Pogrebnyak got one back.  

Chris Baird fed Gunter, who turned nicely on the right wing before swinging in a left footed cross; Pavel did the rest, sending a superb header in off the post to make it 2-1. 

But the joy was short lived - as the home side restored their two goal lead ten minutes later, in freak fashion. Wickham's shot was well saved by McCarthy initially, but the ball bounced back off the Royals keeper, deflected into Sean Morrison, and rolled home for an agonising own goal. 

Robson-Kanu had what seemed to be a strong shout for a penalty turned down seconds before the break as he was brought down at full pelt in the area, but ultimately the half time whistle brought a welcome end to a nightmare 45 minutes for the visitors.  


Reading started the second period knowing they needed something magic to get anything from the game, and Danny Guthrie almost provided that a minute after the restart - as his sizzling first time effort from 30 yards flew inches wide. 

Robson-Kanu then fired over the bar from 10 yards after Gunter had again done brilliantly to dash into the area and cut a pass back into the danger zone.  

Dave Jones' side just refused to relent however, and made it four in the 58th minute. Antonio again did well down  the right wing, fizzing a daisy cutter cross into the middle which was only half cleared - allowing Wickham to smash home.  

The misery just kept coming. Fryatt's brace made it five after the hour mark; his strike partner Wickham sent him clean through on goal with a delicate flick and the striker made no mistake to loft past McCarthy. Hillsborough was bouncing.  

Wickham could even have made it six in the 85th minute, but was denied by the trailing leg of Alex McCarthy as he went one on one with the Royals stopper.  

Substitute Adam Le Fondre did convert a consolation penalty for the away side in the 90th minute after Pogrebnyak had been clipped in the box, but it wouldn't have given too much cheer to Reading - who could only hold their hands up after a poor day at the office. 

Advertisement block