Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

History awaits for winners

19 April 2014

Under 21s prize up for grabs

Reading and Manchester City's under 21s stand on the verge of an historic achievement in the first ever Premier League Under 21 Cup final.

City lead 3-2 from the first leg, but it's all to play for in the second game, kick off 3pm at Madejski Stadium.

Our Academy have already broken the record books this season by making the semi-finals of the FA Youth Cup, and they are now going all out in the first ever season of this Premier League tournament.

And of course, Academy players continue to make their mark in the first team, with Jordan Obita and Michael Hector among those stepping up this season.

With all that in mind, our Academy has never been stronger, and it is bound to be a great game in the second leg, with entry only £3 adults and £1 concession, with parking FREE

Read full details here in our match preview. Road to the final: Reading
Round of 32: Reading (Samuel, Tanner 2) 3-1 Queens Park Rangers (Shariff)
Reading advanced with a comfortable victory at the Madejski Stadium. Dominic Samuel curled in the opener for the home side, and, while Samba Diakite went close for QPR, Craig Tanner doubled the hosts’ advantage just before the break. It was the same man who opened up a three-goal lead for Reading with another fine curling strike. Mohammed Shariff netted a consolation for the visitors.

Round of 16: Reading (Tanner 3, Fosu, Ugwu 2) 6-1 Watford (Barnum-Bobb)
Tanner got a hat-trick as Reading eased into the last eight. The forward opened the scoring after a one-two with Gozie Ugwu, then skipping past a challenge and rifling a strike into the top corner from 25 yards. Reading were relentless after the break, with Tarique Fosu and Tanner making it 3-0 before Jazzi Barnum-Bobb pulled a goal back. Tanner completed his hat-trick with a free-kick that squirmed past Hornets goalkeeper Gary Woods in the wet conditions, before Ugwu rounded off the tie with a late double.

Quarter-final: Wolverhampton Wanderers (Bancessi) 1-3 Reading (Ugwu 2, Tanner)
The victory was harder for Reading than the scoreline made it appear. Ugwu gave them the lead after slotting a parried strike into an empty net, before Tanner doubled their advantage. Wolves pulled a goal back through Eusebio Bancessi and, after Tanner had a penalty saved, the hosts pressed for an equaliser in an action-packed second half. But Reading sealed the victory with Ugwu rounding off a quick break.

Semi-final: Arsenal (Hayden) 1-3 Reading (Tanner 2, Kelly) (aet; 1-1)
Another three-goal scoreline for Reading but only after extra-time. Isaac Hayden put Arsenal in front from the penalty spot, Tanner levelled with a glancing header before half-time. The match stayed level after 90 minutes, despite both sides going close to a winner, but the Royals landed the decisive blows as Tanner scored his eighth goal of the cup campaign on 102 minutes and Liam Kelly rounded off a fine victory. Road to the final: Man City
Round of 32: Stoke City 0-2 Manchester City (Rusnak, Angelino) (aet: 0-0)
In a tough opening examination, Manchester City prevailed at Nantwich Town FC, but only after extra-time. Patrick Vieira’s side could not find a breakthrough during the 90 minutes, with Stoke goalkeeper Daniel Bachmann pulling off a string of saves. It took a moment of brilliance from Albert Rusnak to break the deadlock. As the hosts piled men forward for an equaliser, City substitute Angelino wrapped up the match in the final moments.

Round of 16: Man City (Fofana, Cole) 2-0 West Bromwich Albion
Second-half goals from Seko Fofana and Devante Cole ensured City’s passage. Samir Nabi offered a threat for the visitors while Fofana went close for the home side in a closely contested opening period. Fofana opened the scoring on 56 minutes, drilling a low shot into the corner after good work by Cole.  The latter made the tie safe as he converted a Sinan Bytyqi centre from close range.

Quarter-final: Newcastle United (Richardson 2) 2-3 Man City (Bytyqi, Hiwula, Lopes)
City came from two goals down for their 12th consecutive win in all competitions. Michael Richardson scored twice to put the Magpies in command, with the second coming just after half-time, but a ferocious strike from Bytyqi brought City back into the tie a few minutes later. This gave the visitors momentum and they turned the tie on its head with two more goals, from Jordi Hiwula and Marcos Lopes, in a 15-minute spell.

Semi-final: Man City (Bytyqi 2, Hiwula) 3-2 Burnley (Dummigan, Gilchrist)
City progressed to the final in a closely fought match. Bytyqi, the Citizens’ top scorer in the competition with three goals, and Hiwula scored either side of a Cameron Dummigan leveller to put City 2-1 ahead at half-time. Burnley set up an exciting finale when Jamie Gilchrist volleyed home a 65th-minute equaliser. It was City who emerged victorious though, thanks to Bytyqi’s second of the match 10 minutes later.

Advertisement block