Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Pavel scores in Yeovil stalemate

19 July 2014

Glovers earn draw in entertaining encounter

Yeovil Town 1 (Trialliast 72)
Reading 1 (Pogrebnyak 49)

Reading got another excellent pre-season run out at Huish Park this afternoon, earning a draw in an entertaining affair against Yeovil Town.

Pavel Pogrebnyak deservedly put the visitors ahead just four minutes after half-time, diving onto Ryan Edwards' cross and powering home a header from close range.

Sean Morrison looped a far post header against the crossbar moments later and then Hal Robson-Kanu came close with a rasping effort from the edge of the area that seemed destined for the bottom right corner.

But making wholesale changes on the hour mark, Royals boss Nigel Adkins fielded an entirely under-21 side barring Adam Federici and Robson-Kanu, and Yeovil found an equaliser with a far post header from a triallist.

Yeovil Town: Krysiak, Twumasi, Smith, Edwards, Sokolik, Martin, Dawson, Gillett, Moore, Leitch-Moore, Welsh.
Subs: Weale, Ralph, Lanzoni, Dowie, Moloney, Davis, Hayter, Brooks, Triallist A, Triallist B, Triallist C, Triallist D.

Reading: McCarthy (Federici HT); Gunter (Long 61), Obita (Cummings 61), Pearce (Cooper 61), Morrison (Hyam 61), Akpan (Kuhl 61), Hector (Tshibola 61), Taylor (Kelly 61), Edwards (Fosu 61), Blackman (Stacey 54), Pogrebnyak (Robson-Kanu 61).
Subs: Andersen. 

Referee: Mr P Gibbs
Att: 1,153 (201 away)

First Half

The Royals began the game well, in particular Jake Taylor. Only two minutes into the game, the young midfielder burst onto a ball from Edwards and he let rip with his right foot from the corner of the penalty box and forced keeper Krysiak into a fine high save.

Moments later he was bursting down the left side and delivering a good deep cross that almost found the head of Pogrebnyak. And he was hauled down on the edge of the area only five minutes into the game, earning a free-kick that Ryan Edwards swung in for Morrison to head inches over.

The Royals were enjoying some success down the left flank and Obita crossed looking for Blackman this time, only a sliding challenge deflecting it behind denying the cross its intended target. And Blackman's corner was met by the head of Pearce, only for a Yeovil body to get in the way of the centre back's effort and Hector's follow up.

The Glovers came into the game a little more, but Reading were the side creating the chances - a nice move down the right saw Gunter pass it low into the box, Blackman dummy it, and Pogrebnyak shoot right-footed, but it was deflected wide by a last ditch tackle.

Pavel Pogrebnyak then forced Artur Krysiak into a good point blank save, heading Jake Taylor's corner down and towards the bottom corner but the Yeovil stopper doing enough to keep it out on his goalline.

Yeovil waited until the last few minutes of the first half to receive their best opportunity of the game. A long ball over the top was brought down by Ajay Leitch-Smith, but Alex McCarthy narrowed the angle and saved his low left-footed strike with his body.

Second half

The Royals took no time to make their impact upon resumption. Ryan Edwards supplied a lovely cross from the left and Pogrebnyak dived to connect with it and powered it home from five yards out, Krysiak unable to keep it out with a flailing left palm.

Moments later, the Royals almost had a second. Jordan Obita's free kick was met by the head of Morrison who looped his effort over the keeper and onto the top of the crossbar. Edwards followed it in but cou;dn't nod the rebound home before Town could clear their lines.

The entire side was changed on the hour, Adkins introducing a plethora of young players, some of whom didn't even play a part at Exeter. But it was an established Academy graduate who almost scored a second, Hal Robson-Kanu turning his man on the edge of the box and forcing the home goalkeeper into a sharp save low to his left.

It was Adam Federici making the save of the game though, somehow turning a triallist's close range effort against the underside of his crossbar with a fine reaction save.

He could do nothing about a far post header from one of Town's trilliasts with little more than 15 minutes remaining. A deep free kick was pumped into the Royals' box and the Glovers' striker placed a good downward header inside the right post to draw the game level.

The League One side pressed for a winner, knowing they were now facing a very inexperienced Royals line-up, but it was Liam Kelly twice who almost supplied Jack Stacey with an opening towards the end that would have seen two of last season's under-18s combine for what would have been a winner.

It ended 1-1 in glorious sunshine and another excellent pre-season run-out had come to an end. 

Advertisement block