Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 01/03/2014

1 March 2014

Reading 1-1 Yeovil

Reading 1 (Lawrence og 68)
Yeovil 1 (Duffy 20)

Reading were left shaking their heads after a crazy second half against Yeovil which saw three red cards, a penalty saved and inspired goalkeeping from Marek Stech to earn his team a point.

The Royals will see it as a real opportunity missed, and we threw everything at them after a below-par first half but just couldn't get a second goal.

We had plenty of chances even before the equaliser, but it simply wasn't to be, and credit to Yeovil for defending with their lives.

The visitors went in front when Shane Duffy beat Alex McCarthy to a hanging free kick, and it proved enough to give the visitors a point.

Ultimately we were left to rue conceding the first goal before Town defended heroically in the late stages.

Reading: McCarthy; Gunter (c), Obita, Gorkss (Blackman 82), Pearce; Akpan (Guthrie HT), Williams, McCleary, Robson-Kanu (Drenthe 63); Le Fondre, Pogrebnyak
Subs: Federici, Kelly, Hector, J Taylor, Blackman
Booked: Akpan (foul 39), Blackman (foul 83)

Yeovil: Stech, Ayling, McAllister (c) (Lundstram 57), Duffy, Webster; Edwards, Ralls, Lawrence, Holmes (Twumasi 73), Moore, Hayter (Palazuelos 70)
Subs: Dunn, Dawson, Grant, Morgan
Booked: Lawrence (foul 31), Edwards (foul 77), Duffy (timewasting 85)
Sent off: Webster (professional foul 68), Ralls (foul 70), Moore (timewasting 86, foul 89)

Starting XI team news
Jobi McAnuff was ruled out with a knock, so Hal Robson-Kanu came in on the left wing. And on St David's Day fellow Welshman Chris Gunter was named captain for the first time. Another Dragon Jake Taylor came back into the 18.

First half
Reading were very close to a seventh-minute lead when Robson-Kanu's low cross looked destined for Adam Le Fondre, but a desperate Yeovil leg got there first and put it behind.

After a bright Reading start Town began to get a foothold in the game - and took the lead on 18 minutes when Alex McCarthy came for a hanging free kick but Shane Duffy got there first to head home.

McCarthy then had to make a super stop to keep out Duane Holmes' long range effort midway through the half.

Reading then had the ball in the net themselves - but Pavel Pogrebnyak was adjudged to be offside when heading home, a decision that looked tight to the naked eye.

The Royals were trying to up the ante, and Luke Ayling then had to head clear under pressure from beneath his own bar. Right on half time Garath McCleary had a strike at goal but it lacked the power to really trouble Marek Stech.

Second half
Danny Guthrie came on at half time for Hope Akpan as the Royals looked to get back on top, and Pogrebnyak soon had a very good sight of goal from a Jordan Obita cross but headed too close to Stech.

Le Fondre then had two good sights of goal, firstly heading wide as a Kaspars Gorkss knockback flashed across goal, and then putting over on the turn after a good cutback from skipper Gunter.

With the introduction of Royston Drenthe, the game exploded into life. Within a couple of minutes he won a penalty that saw Byron Webster sent off for a professional foul, but Le Fondre's spot kick was saved by Stech.

We were not to be denied though, and from the resulting corner an almighty scramble ensued, with Tom Lawrence probably getting the final touch although Le Fondre seemed to be claiming it.

Within a minute Yeovil were down to nine, Drenthe's raking pass setting McCleary free, but he was scissored down by Joe Ralls for a straight red card.

Reading were piling on the pressure, and in the 80th minute we came close to scoring in three separate occasions - first Guthrie's shot was saved, then Pogrebnyak's follow-up was blocked and Stech made a stupendous save from another Pavel header.

Incredibly, with 90 seconds left Yeovil were down to eight men - Kieffer Moore shown two yellows in two minutes for timewasting and then a clear foul.

The Royals were absolutely camped inside the Town half, and Stech made yet another save as Drenthe blasted one goalwards.

But despite seven minutes of added time, Stech proved unbeatable and Yeovil understandably celebrated at full time like they'd taken a very important result.

Advertisement block