Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Women draw with Millwall

9 May 2014

Watch highlights of WSL2 clash

On Sunday the Royals travelled to The Den to face an unbeaten Millwall in their second Continental Cup match.

The only change for the Royals saw Jayne Ludlow swap her keepers around, Grace Moloney making her comeback after a recent injury.

Reading started the brighter of the two teams and Cheryl Williams shot just wide of Fran Gibbs post, Millwall’s first shot on goal came through Lillie Bilson, which Moloney had covered, but was wide anyway. Lauren Bruton then had a shot which went wide of Gibbs post, before Millwall took the lead in controversial fashion. A shot from Lily Agg deflected off a Reading defender, Stacey Wiggins cleared, but the Referee adjudged that the ball had crossed the line to put the Lions 1-0 up, much to the dismay of the Reading players.

On 25 minutes a curling Kirby shot saw Gibbs make a great save to push round the post, the resulting corner eventually fell to Molly Bartrip 25 yards out whose shot went wide of the Millwall goal. Kirby then had another shot go wide when one on one with Lennon, both sides had speculative efforts in the run up to half time, but Millwall held onto their lead. Fran Kirby had to leave the field just before half time after a clash with the on rushing Fran Gibbs with both players going for the ball.

Half Time saw Jayne Ludlow make two changes with Eartha Pond and Lois Roche replacing Cheryl Williams and Stacey Wiggins. Reading went on the attack in the second half with a long shot going just wide and then Kirby was fouled just outside the area by Naomi Cole, Lois Roche stepped up to strike the free kick which cleared the wall but was saved by Gibbs.

Reading were really starting to dominate play now, next a Kirby header from a Shelly Cox cross shaved the post with Gibbs & the Millwall defence beaten and all very relieved to see the ball go wide.

Bruton then turned the game for the visitors, running at the Millwall defence, before eventually being tripped inside the box by Angela Kiobel - giving the referee no choice but to point to the spot. Bruton herself stepped up and calmly slotted the ball past Gibbs to make the score 1-1.

And 1-1 it finished - with both teams creating chances in the dying stages, but to no avail. The Royals now have a break before facing Continental Cup Holders Arsenal in their next group match at Home (Farnborough FC) on Thursday 15th May with a 7:45 pm kick off.

Advertisement block