Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 01/11/2014

1 November 2014

Rovers take the points

  • Rudy Gestede brace and Ben Marshall free-kick grant Blackburn the win
  • Glenn Murray scores his fifth goal in nine games
  • Danny Williams comes off the bench for Reading

Second half goals from Ben Marshall and Rudy Gestede condemed the Royals to a 3-1 defeat at Ewood Park on Saturday afternoon.

It was 1-1 at the break after an even first half, Glenn Murray tapping in a fine Jordan Obita cross to level on the stroke of half time after Gestede's header had opened the scoring.

However a superb free-kick from man of the match Marshall and a second for Gestede sealed the points for in form Rovers.

Reading must now pick themselves up for back to back home games with Rotherham and Charlton in the next week.

Blackburn: Steele, Hanley (C), Cairney, Marshall (Conway 86), Olsson, Baptiste, Williamson (Tunnicliffe HT), Duffy, Evans, Gestede (Varney 80), Rhodes
Subs not used: Eastwood, Henley, Kilgallon, Dunn
Booked: Varney (foul 90)

Reading: Federici, Obita, Gunter (C), Pearce, Cooper, Akpan (Williams 74), Norwood, Taylor (Mackie 59), Blackman, Robson-Kanu (Cox 59), Murray
Subs not used: Andersen, Kelly, Ferdinand, Pogrebnyak

Booked: Obita (foul 50), Akpan (foul 63), Cooper (foul 78)

Attendance: 14,237 (411)

First Half

Nigel Adkins made three changes to the side which defeated Blackpool last time out - one enforced, as the suspended Michael Hector was replaced by Jake Cooper.

Nick Blackman and Jake Taylor both came into the side to replace Simon Cox and Jamie Mackie, whilst Anton Ferdinand made the bench for the first time in the 2014/15 campaign.

Rovers mounted the first meaningful attack two mintues in, a cross from the left landing perfectly on the head of Gestede - only for Cooper to block before Adam Federici had time to move a muscle.

At the other end, a well whipped in Oliver Norwood corner was flicked on by Glenn Murray at the near post - but the forward turned to see the ball flick off the crossbar and away from danger.

Three minutes later a sweetly struck kick from the hands of Federici sent Robson-Kanu scampering to the left of the area, but the Reading number nine saw his first time shot slice wide.

It was Rovers that took the lead though - and Gestede it was that finished a chance that was almost identical to the one he spurend in the opening stages.

Ben Marshall's cross allowed the forward to cut across the area, before crashing a thunderous header past Federici.

Murray looked for an immediate response as he turned onto Blackman's through ball, firing a shot across a crowded box and narrowly wide of Jason Steele's post.

With half an hour on the clock Norwood's stinging shot from 20 yards deflected narrowly wide, before Akpan, Gunter and Taylor combined to feed Murray - who shot left footed into the arms of Steele.

Taylor himself then had a go; a superb right footed volley which forced a top save out of the home goalkeeper.

A goal was coming for the visitors and it arrived just two minutes before the break. Obita's cross was a defenders' nightmare, shooting across the six yard box and causing enough confusion for Murray to pop up at the far post and tap home.

Second Half

Federici was called into action eight minutes into the second half, stopping Rhodes' diving header with his legs, before reacting quickly to crawl backwards and flick the ball around his post before the rebound dribbled in.

The scoreline wasn't level for long. Moments later the home side won a free-kick on the edge of the box, which Marshall superbly whipped over the wall and into the bottom corner.

With 67 minutes on the clock Rovers all but put the game beyond doubt. Marshall again involved, weaving his way to the byline before crossing into the box. Rhodes' header was well saved, buy Gestede pounced on the rebound to fire home.

Reading huffed and puffed but couldn't quite muster that vital chance, as substitute Simon Cox sliced wide in the 83rd minute after dancing in from the right, before Blackman did the same shortly afterwards.

3-1 it finished at Ewood Park.

Advertisement block