Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 29/08/2015

29 August 2015

Bees stung by victorious Royals

Reading earned their first league win of the season to go into the international break six games unbeaten, courtesy of a 3-1 victory at Brentford's Griffin Park.

The Royals raced into a 2-0 first half lead thanks to Orlando Sa's header and Nick Blackman's exquisite free kick, but despite being second best for the opening hour, the Bees bounced back with a stunning effort of their own when Lasse Vibe lashed in off the post from 22 yards out.

Reading defended their lead competently and made sure of the three points when Blackman won and converted an injury time penalty after Danny Williams had led the break away in the fifth of five minutes of added time.


Steve Clarke made just one change from the eleven he named for our last league outing, Aaron Tshibola beginning on the bench as Nick Blackman started - having scored at Portsmouth in midweek. Paolo Hurtado was included in the squad for the first time since signing for the Royals.

Anton Ferdinand produced a timely interception to prevent Lasse Vibe from scurrying in on goal and latching onto a neat one-two on the edge of the area, then McShane had to clear a good Bidwell cross from the left as Brentford started brightly.

Bond snaffled up a low Vibe cross looking for Hofmann in the middle, then Hofmann was flagged for offside as he broke onto a threaded pass through the middle only to be halted by the linesman on the far side.

At the other end, Sa was nearly found by a hanging Robson-Kanu cross and then Williams burst forward brilliantly only to see David Button comfortably gather his low scuffed shot from distance.

Then, Reading came within a whisker of breaking the deadlock. Robson-Kanu fed Blackman down the left and, running at his man, he cut onto his left boot and arrowed a powerfully hit effort past Button and against the stanchion.

Moments later, Reading had the lead. A well-crafted cross from Robson-Kanu on the left was met by the head of Orlando Sa in the middle and the Portuguese striker made no mistake, nodding past Button's flailing right glove and into the back of the next from eight yards out - for his first goal in Reading colours.

Button had to produce a brilliant save, diving to his right to tip Stephen Quinn's left-footed shot on the turn around his post - and a point blank range stop from Button denied the Royals again from the subsequent Norwood corner which was headed goalwards to no avail.

It should have been 2-0 though a minute later. Quinn dinked a cross back to the edge of the area, where Williams volleyed it at goal. Button parried it but the ball fell loose to Blackman who was again thwarted by the legs of Button this time.

The Royals did double their advantage on the half hour though. And there was nothing Button could do about Nick Blackman's free kick - the striker was pulled back to win a foul 20 yards out and his left foot curled the ball beautifully over the wall and into the top right corner.

Half-time: Brentford 0Reading 2

Garath McCleary came off the bench to start the second half, while Josh Clarke was introduced by the home side. And the hosts almost carved out an opening inside the area when Vibe looked to stab a shot at goal only for Ferdinand to step in to mop up before he could trouble Bond.

Tarkowski headed over the bar from the corner that followed, then Vibe whistled a well-struck effort just too high as the Bees sought a way back into the fixture.

Vibe almost got hit to on the end of a nice pass through the middle of the two Royals centre-backs, but McShane's sliding touch took it away from the Brentford striker and Obita hacked it clear.

Reading seemed in relative command still, but with 66 minutes on the clock Vibe struck a fantastic right-footed shot that beat Bond from 25 yards and cannoned into the back of the net off the inside of the right post. Brentford were back in it.

Sa spurned a good chance to restore the two-goal cushion, racing into acres in front of him down the left and allowed to continue into the box, only for the forward to fire over.

Williams then drilled low into the body of Button from distance as the Royals looked to respond. Alan Judge skied a free kick over the bar though as Brentford continued to threaten.

McCleary tried to play a one-two with himself to get in on goal and Button needed to slide out to smother it at the feet of the Royals winger to snuff out the danger. Sam Saunders came on with nine minutes remaining, while Aaron Tshibola replaced Sa for the Royals.

Blackman wriggled his way to the byline down the right but couldn't pick out a Reading shirt with his cut back, so the game remained on a knife edge as we entered the final five minutes.

Saunders drove low at goal in the final seconds of the ninety, but the outstretched right boot of Ferdinand did enough to deflect it wide. Five minutes of injury time were signalled as Ferdinand received some treatment. And Michael Hector added some vital height for a late free kick that thankfully sailed high and wide of the Royals box anyway.

In the dying embers, an early cross was srapped clear but against the body of the closing down Vibe - the ball trickled inches wide to the Royals' relief.

And as the Bees looked for one last chance, Reading broke through Williams. He found Blackman in support and Button raced off his line to clean him out as the Royals forward cut inside with a good first touch. The referee pointed to the spot and Blackman stepped up to coolly send the keeper the wrong way and make it 3-1 with the last kick of the game.

Full-time: Brentford 1Reading 3

Brentford: Button, Colin, Bidwell, Dean, Tarkowski, Diagouraga (McCormack 36), Gogia (Clarke HT), Kerschbaumer (Saunders 81), Judge, Vibe, Hofmann.
Unused subs: Bonham, O'Connell, Barbet, Udumaga.
Yellow: Tarkowski, McCormack, Hofmann, Bidwell, Button.

Reading: Bond, Gunter, Obita, McShane (c), Ferdinand, Norwood (Hector 90), Williams, Quinn, Blackman, Robson-Kanu (McCleary 46), Sa (Tshibola 81).
Unused subs: Al Habsi, Fernandez, Hurtado, Cox.
Yellow: Obita, Gunter, Bond.

Referee: Andrew Madley

Advertisement block