Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Huddersfield (a) 240215

24 February 2015

Terriers earn victory

  • Bunn heads hosts into early lead
  • Wells hits post on stroke of half time
  • Nahki Wells mops up rebound for 2-0
  • Miller lobs in a third as Royals soundly beaten
Having won in Huddersfield in the FA Cup earlier this year, Steve Clarke's much-changed side were soundly beaten by the Terriers on a bitterly cold evening at the John Smith's Stadium tonight.

Harry Bunn headed the home side into a first half lead that could have been doubled had Nahki Wells' effort on the stroke of half time not glanced off the post and wide.

Wells had his goal soon after the restart when he was first to a rebound after Federici had stopped a scuffed strike from the edge of the area and Ishmael Miller made it 3-0 when he capped a well-worked counter attack with a cool lob.

A frustrating Royals display never truly threatened to get the visitors back into the game and ground was lost in a tight middle to the Championship table.

Huddersfield: Smithies, Edhgar, Hudson (c), Hogg, Butterfield, Wallace, Robinson, Smith, Bunn (Boyle 90), Miller (Lolley 81), Wells (Vaughan 56).
Subs: Murphy, Gobern, Wright, Majewski.

Reading: Federici, Kelly (Robson-Kanu 72), Obita, Pearce (c), Hector, Akpan, Norwood, Guthrie (Blackman 59), Taylor (Mackie 59), McCleary, Yakubu.
Subs: Andersen, Gunter, Cooper, Chalobah, Mackie.
Yellow: Kelly, Obita
Att: 10,282

First Half

The first attempt on target came from the boot of Jack Robinson, who sweetly struck an effort from distance but it was straight at the Royals keeper and Adam Federici took the sting out of it with a solid save.

And the hosts had the lead soon after. Jordan Obita conceded a free kick on the right, barging over Nakhi Wells, and a dangerous Jacob Butterfield set piece was met by a bullet header from Harry Bunn at the far post who gave Federici no chance of saving it.

Wallace glanced a near post header across the face of goal with a quarter of an hour gone, then at the other end McCleary found some space down the left but his pull back was flicked into the box by Guthrie and cleared before it could find the feet of Yakubu.

A superb save from Alex Smithies denied Hope Akpan soon after, the midfielder connecting well with Norwood's free kick on the right but the Town keeper parrying the ball behind with a smart save.

McCleary then beat his man down the left and pulled the ball back for Yakubu, but the striker couldn't stab the ball goalwards and the referee pointed for a goal kick as it looped behind.

Reading were playing some neat and tidy stuff, passing the ball well on a difficult pitch and Norwood almost caught Smithies out with a shot from the half way line that the Terriers keeper did well to tip over his crossbar.

McCleary scuttled onto a long ball with ten minutes of the half remaining, and he found Jake Taylor whose pull back was intercepted before it could reach one of the Royals bodies in the box.

Hector pulled the trigger on the edge of the box but Smithies got down to save comfortably and despite the visitors' dominance Chris Powell's side were restricting the Royals' shooting chances and protecting their lead well.

Smithies came under more pressure before the break as Reading won a string of corners, but Wells almost made it 2-0 with the last kick of the half, Harry Bunn pouncing on a mistake at the back and drawing Federici away from his goal before passing it sideways to Wells who placed his strike between covering defenders but against the base of the right post.

Second half

Reading began the second half on the front foot and a Guthrie cross was hacked clear from one wing before a McCleary delivery from the other side was deflected behind for a corner.

But Huddersfield had a second ten minutes after the restart when a bobbling shot from distance could only be half saved by Federici and Wells beat Hector to the rebound to pass the ball into an empty net.

Miller then tested Federici with a whistling shot from range that the Aussie keeper did well to push wide of his left post. Clarke introduced both Nick Blackman and Jamie Mackie in an attempt to get back into the game.

Federici was down low to his left soon after to make another stop, this time Miller picking up the loose ball but unable to square it to Vaughan as Hector stepped in to intercept.

Blackman then worried Smithies with a long range effort. Norwood won the ball back in midfield and Blackman let rip from 25 yards, but it skidded inches wide of the bottom right corner to a sprawling Smithies' relief.

Vaughan hooked a right-footed effort at Federici but the Royals stopper clung onto what was a fiercely struck effort. An moments later a ball over the top found the Terriers substitute and Kelly had to block his cross to snuff out the threat.

Clarke introduced Robson-Kanu with 20 minutes remaining, but Miller killed the game with a deft lob after the home side had broken from their own half at pace with some pinpoint passing and a cool finish over the onrushing Federici.

Reading were beaten, but Yakubu almost got a consolation when a low cross landed in his path and he dug the ball out from underneath his feet but could only stab a deflected effort just wide.

Jonathan Hogg came close to lobbing his own goalkeeper in trying to clear a cross from the right, and Reading had the better of the late exchanges without the ball dropping for them in front of goal.

Advertisement block