Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Huddersfield 0-1 Reading

3 January 2015

FA Cup match report

  • Blackman goal seals victory
  • First clean sheet for Steve Clarke
  • Game time for a number of players, Karacan unused sub
  • Draw takes place on Monday evening
Reading are through to the fourth round of the FA Cup after a good 1-0 away win against Huddersfield.

Chances were hard to come by, and Nick Blackman sent us through with a well-taken finish after a nice team move.

It was a tight affair in which we defended resolutely throughout. A clean sheet, single goal, players back involved, into the next round - the perfect away afternoon.

Reading: Andersen, Gunter, Obita, Hector, Pearce (c), Norwood, Guthrie (Samuel 78), Williams, Mackie (Blackman HT), Robson-Kanu, Cox (Cooper 89)
Subs: Federici, Kelly, Cummings, Karacan
Booked: Mackie (foul 19), Robson-Kanu (foul 87), Williams (disent 88)

Huddersfield: Smithies, Smith (Lolley 85), Robinson, Hudson (c), Wallace (Gerrard HT), Hogg, Coady, Hammill (Scannell 66), Bunn, Vaughan, Wells
Subs: Allinson, Peltier, Butterfield, Ward
Booked: Smith (foul 33), Hudson (foul 45)
Sent off: Hogg (two yellows, foul 45, dissent 88)

Starting XI team news
Steve Clarke made three changes, bringing in Mikkel Andersen, Danny Guthrie and Jamie Mackie. Crucially, Jem Karacan was back on the bench after 16 months out, while young striker Dominic Samuel was also a sub. Anton Ferdinand, Hope Akpan, Pavel Pogrebnyak and Garath McCleary were unavailable.

First half
The game started at a staccato pace, with Jamie Mackie looking to break the deadlock thanks to a couple of lively bursts down the right.

Goalmouth action was at a premium to say the least, and although both sides were keeping it neat in midfield, neither could penetrate.

Mikkel Andersen made a couple of good claims near the penalty spot, while Mackie was shown one yellow card and the home crowd wanted a second soon after but there was nothing doing.

Right on half time Oliver Norwood had a free kick from 30 yards, but fired well over and that was that from a rather low key 45 minutes.

Second half
With Mackie on a booking, Nick Blackman was introduced for the on-loan Nottm Forest man at half time.

Terriers created the game's first real chance on 59 minutes, and James Vaughan could have done better than to head over when well placed.

But the Royals soon had the lead with an excellent team goal. Danny Williams won possession in midfield, and Blackman played a nice one-two with Robson-Kanu, before slotting home expertly from 18 yards. It was a good reward for the former Sheffield United man, who finished with aplomb.

With tempers running high, Jonathan Hogg was shown a second yellow card right at the end of normal time. But it was of no matter as we saw the game out well.

With young Dominic Samuel getting onto the pitch, Guthrie, Mackie and Andersen all earning valuable game time and the Royals crucially through to the next round, our excellent band of supporters went home very happy indeed.

Advertisement block