Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Monday night: Club's response

17 March 2015

Follow-up to FA Cup quarter final

Reading Football Club would like to thank the vast majority of supporters for helping to create a fantastic atmosphere at Madejski Stadium on Monday night.
With vocal support in all corners of the ground, a Sea of Scarves and the return of Sweet Caroline, our 3-0 FA Cup quarter final win was an evening that will live long in the memory.

The importance of that atmosphere cannot be underestimated, and Steve Clarke said after the game that our two goals in nine minutes were largely down to the crowd’s influence.

The Manager said, "There’s no doubt in my mind that the quick start came because of the atmosphere.
"The crowd were right up for the game, and the players were determined to give them something to shout about for the rest of the night. When you get a positive atmosphere, you can see the impact it has on the team."
There are however some isolated incidents that took place, and the club would like to detail our response to each.

Just before half time, one of our players registered a complaint about a comment from the away end. Within a few minutes, a man had been arrested and ejected from the Stadium.  Kick It Out have since made a statement, highlighting the swift response of the match officials, stewards, police and club. Read in full here.
During the second half a man entered the pitch, he was arrested and ejected from the Stadium. Objects were subsequently thrown from the away end, and this has been detailed in the referee’s report.
At full time, some supporters entered the pitch, which sadly prevented our players from celebrating with fans who remained in their seats. The majority of supporters on the pitch were peaceful, however we were appalled to see an item thrown into the away end. We would ask supporters to help us identify the person in question, in order for the police to take up the matter and for the Club to apply a Stadium ban. This type of behaviour is completely unacceptable. We have a strict approach to pyrotechnics, and a man from Bradford was arrested outside the ground before the game for possession of a flare.
The Club are of course keen for these incidents to not take away from what was an historic evening at Madejski Stadium. It has been 88 long years since we last made the semi-final of the FA Cup, and we look forward to giving our supporters at least one more memorable occasion in this season’s great competition.

Advertisement block