Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

A trio of triumphs at Loftus Road

22 April 2016

Three wins away at QPR

Ahead of this weekend's visit to QPR we look back at at three memorable wins over Saturday's hosts at Loftus Road...

Queens Park Rangers 1-3 Reading
16th February 2014, Sky Bet Championship

In February 2014 the Royals were on a good run of form as they travelled to Loftus Road. Promotion chasing QPR were in need of a win against Reading to try and close the gap between themselves, Burnley and Leicester for a place in the top two. And it was the Royals that were the quickest out of the traps at Loftus Road as Danny Williams found Adam Le Fondre out on the left and then drifted into the box unmarked to head home the striker's cross.

It was ex-Reading striker Kevin Doyle who levelled the scores for the hosts, as Rangers fought back in front of the home crowd.  The equaliser came when the Royals failed to clear their lines and Doyle pounced after Will Keane's effort had been parried by keeper Alex McCarthy, slamming home from close range.

The two sides headed into the break with the scores level, but it was Reading that seized the initiative when the teams took to the pitch for the second half.  Before the hour Alex Pearce had headed Reading back into the lead when he rose highest to convert from Jobi McAnuff’s corner.  And by this stage the Royals were well on top and Garath McCleary made Reading’s dominance count when he made it 3-1 just minutes later; the winger collected the ball in his own half, before galloping towards the penalty area and unleashing a brilliant 25-yard shot that flew into the top corner.

Reading continued to press and wanted a penalty for a hand-ball against Clint Hill but the referee was not swayed.  A red card for Kaspars Gorkss against his former club did not help the Royals late on, but they kept QPR at arm's length to secure a valuable win putting them four points clear of 7th-placed Brighton.

Queens Park Rangers 2-3 Reading
26th September 2012, Capital One Cup

Pavel Pogrebnyak grabbed the winner for Reading in a cup meeting between the two then-Premier League sides. In a classic tie at Loftus Road. the Royals twice came back from a goal down to beat QPR in the third round of the Capital One Cup.

The home side made a lively start as QPR quickly seized the upper hand in tie. It was Junior Hoilett that struck with a lovely solo goal to open the scoring for the hosts as he left several defenders in his slipstream before firing a low shot past keeper Alex McCarthy.  The Royals responded quickly however and it was not long until they were on level terms, when Kaspars Gorkss levelled.  Nicky Shorey swung in a free-kick which was met by a firm header by the Latvian to put the Reading back in the game.

The game swung from end-to-end and it was the peripheral figure of Djibril Cisse who eventually made his presence felt with a stunning strike which gave McCarthy no chance.  In an open game Reading hit back almost immediately. Again it was Shorey stood over a dead ball that undid QPR, when he fired his 25-yard free-kick in off the underside of the crossbar.  With the scores at 2-2 the Royals went hunting for a winner and were eventually rewarded for their refusal to be shrugged off.

Jay Tabb created some space on the wing and cut the ball back for Noel Hunt, who fed Russian Pavel Pogrebnyak to produce a deft finish for Reading's third and winning goal.  In stoppage time Reading should have added to their lead when Pogrebnyak had his penalty saved by Julio Cesar in the QPR goal, but three goals were enough to see Brian McDermott’s men through to round four of the competition and a home tie against Arsenal

Queens Park Ranger 1-2 Reading
5th November 2005, Coca-Cola Championship

In a season of records for the Royals, even at this early stage Reading were extending a club record unbeaten run to 20 games with a victory over QPR.

The fireworks were flying on bonfire night and in the first half it was the Royals that dominated proceedings, with QPR desperately trying to quell the threat of Reading’s front two, Dave Kitson and Kevin Doyle.  Despite keeping Reading’s prolific front men off the scoresheet, they couldn’t prevent Kitson from setting up the opening goal.  The striker neatly squared for the onrushing James Harper to slot past Simon Royce and give the Royals the lead in the 10th minute.

A goal up at half time and having been comfortably the better side in the opening period, the travelling Reading faithful could have been excused for thinking their side would go onto take victory with ease.
This was not to be case however, when two minutes after the restart QPR were level. Rangers’ midfielder Gareth Ainsworth picked out teammate Lee Cook, who didn't need asking twice to take his opportunity to shoot, rifling a 20-yard drive past Marcus Hahnemann in the Reading goal.

As Reading looked to respond it was Ivar Ingimarsson that was to be the hero for the visitors. The breakthrough came on the 66th minute when substitute John Oster whipped his delivery into the box, finding the Icelandic international.  Ingimarsson jumped to thump home his header past a despairing Royce giving the Royals a 2-1 lead much to the enjoyment of the traveling fans and manager Steve Coppell.  It proved to be another victory in memorable year for Reading as they went onto secure the famous points total of 106 and promotion to the Premier League for the first time.

Advertisement block