Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U23 Report: Royals overcome by strong Spurs side at Hogwood

22 August 2016

Reading suffer the first defeat of their Premier League 2 campaign at the hands of Tottenham

The Royals were overcome at Hogwood Park by an impressive Spurs side, who took all three points in a high tempo U23 Premier League 2 clash.

Reading made a number of changes from their opening outing of the League campaign, with the likes of Aaron Kuhl and Craig Tanner having both gone out on loan to Boreham Wood and Plymouth Argyle respectively.

Despite being in the game and looking threatening in the first half, Martin Kuhl’s side conceded three goals early in the second period, making it difficult to salvage a result from the 51st minute onward.

In the opening stages of the encounter both sides looked dangerous when going forward, with Jonathan Bond forced into a sharp save early-on after good work from Tottenham on the edge of the Reading box.

The Royals responded quickly, with Dominic Samuel seeing his fizzing effort fly just wide of the visitors’ left-hand post after a bold run from midfield.

Reading were beginning to build up some momentum when Jack Stacey won the home side a corner after 25 minutes. A floated delivery from midfielder Josh Barrett caused chaos inside the Spurs box, with the ball falling for Zak Jules.

The defenders’ fierce strike from close range was well blocked on the line by Tottenham Captain Luke Amos; the rebound bouncing inches wide of the post.

Just as it seemed Reading were grasping the initiative, Spurs’ midfielder Marcus Edwards scored against the run of play with a fine individual effort. On the 32nd minute, a sharp turn on the edge of Reading’s box evaded the defence, before the Tottenham youngster thumped his shot into the top corner, leaving Bond with no chance.

The Royals looked to start the second half with a higher tempo, and as Kuhl’s side pushed forward searching for an equaliser, Tottenham struck with devastating effect.

The first of three early second-half goals was netted by Edwards on the 47th minute, who cut elegantly onto his left foot before burying his finish in the bottom corner.

A minute later it was three, when Will Miller provided a sliding finish as the ball sailed into the top corner. The fourth came soon after when Shayon Harrison forced a mistake from Bond in the Reading goal, before slotting home his finish from close range.

Reading did well to rally following the Tottenham attacking onslaught, and managed to wrestle the initiative back from the visitors, as the Royals enjoyed more possession in midfield.

Jack Stacey had his effort roll just past the Spurs goal after a clever run in behind the defence, but the winger could only prod his finish a yard or so wide of Tom Glover’s net.

Jules was the next to threaten the target when his shot from range sent the Spurs keeper scrambling to try and cover his right-hand-post.

On the 73rd minute Reading got the goal that their efforts deserved when Andy Rinomhota rose impressively and bulleted a header into the top corner, with Glover only able to watch as the ball flew past.

Despite continued pressure, Spurs saw out the 4-1 win, with the Royals now turning their attention to Friday’s league fixture with Manchester City at Madejski Stadium. 

Full Time: Reading 1-4 Tottenham Hotspur

Reading: Bond, Osho, Jules, East (Andresson 60), Hyam, Dickie, Stacey, Rinohmota, Samuel (Cardwell HT), Barrett, Novakovich (Sheppard 52)
Unused subs: Davis, Southwood

Tottenham Hotspur: Glover, Walker-Peters, Ogilvie, Amos (C), Walkes, Owens, Edwards, Pritchard (Goddard 61), Harrison, Miller (Loft 67), Oduwa (Tracey 77)
Unused subs: Whiteman, Stylianides

Advertisement block