Skip to main content Skip to site footer

John delighted with late win at the Valley

29 February 2016

Ola John pleased to have bagged the points

Royals’ winger, Ola John, was delighted to come away with all three points from Reading’s seven-goal thriller away at Charlton.

The Dutchman admitted he had not been involved in many games like Saturday’s 4-3 epic at the Valley, but was very pleased to be on the winning side.

“At 3-1 ahead in the first half I think a lot of us thought we had done the job,“ admitted John. “They scored a couple of good goals after Ali made a couple of great saves. At 3-3 we thought that was it, but it was a great substitution when Deniss came on and I’m buzzing for him that he scored the winner.

“Credit to Charlton, they didn’t give up. In the second half we didn’t pick up where we finished in the first half and we made it difficult for ourselves.”

In the 92nd minute, substitute Deniss Rakels, bagged a dramatic late winner for the Royals, with the team pleased to see the front man get off the mark for the club.

“The last few games Deniss has been great coming off the bench so we were all very happy for him. This is an important win away from home and after the way the game went, it was amazing to win.”

The 23-year-old, who assisted Yann Kermorgant for the first goal of the afternoon, praised the forward for his aerial ability.

John then went on to get on the score sheet himself, this time with the roles reversed, with Kermorgant playing him through on goal.

“For me as a player it’s great to play with a striker like Yann, he’s so strong in the air, one of the best I’ve ever seen, if you put a decent ball in the box you know something is going to happen.

“The ball through from Yann was perfect,” John continued. “I had a lot of time but as a footballer you can’t think too much about the finish, you have to know what you want to do and be decisive, thankfully I made a good decision!”

The wide man was impressed by the Reading faithful, with over 3,000 supporters making the journey to South-East London, even if it wasn’t plain sailing for travelling fans over 90 minutes.

“The supporters were great, it must have been a scary game for them! To get the winner right at the end, I’m really happy for them. We’re having a good run at the moment; there are a lot of games left so we want to keep it going.”

Advertisement block