Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Loanees in FA Cup first round action!

7 November 2016

Tariqe scores with first touch as we round up Reading loanees in FA Cup action...

A number of Royals loanees were in action this weekend in the FA Cup first round, as League and 2 clubs entered the competition as the long road to Wembley begins for EFL clubs.

Tariqe Fosu, Craig Tanner, Jack Stacey, Rob Dickie were all in Cup action for their respective clubs over the weekend with a mixed bag of results for the Reading loanees.

Tariqe Fosu

Wide man Tariqe Fosu scored in a narrow defeat for his Colchester side on Saturday when they faced Chesterfield at the Weston Homes Community Stadium in an open affair in Essex.

With Fosu on the bench for the first half, Colchester fell behind when Jay O’shea scored for the visitors to put them 1-0 up. A clever threaded pass from Kristian Dennis found O’shea in the box and the Spireites man slotted home from close range.

A goal down at the break, Colchester decided to bring on Royals man Fosu, who made an instant impact on the match when he scored with his first touch. From a tight angle the forward fired a fine low finish across goal and into the bottom corner to put his side back in the cup tie.

Six minutes later though Chesterfield restored their lead, with what would be the decisive goal. Ched Evans found the net emphatically volleying home after Tom Anderson had nodded on a free-kick in the area.

Craig Tanner

Royals forward Craig Tanner tasted success in the opening round of the Cup with his Plymouth side, running out 2-1 winners away at fellow League Two club Mansfield Town. Tanner played 61 minutes for the Pilgrims before being replaced by Ryan Donaldson midway through the second period.

Plymouth netted the opening goal of the tie 14 minutes in, when Jordan Slew fired home for the visitors having caught the Stags on the counter attack. Mansfield were not going to be brushed aside however, and levelled the scores 12 minutes after the break when Ashley Hemmings arrived late at the far post to smash his finish home.

Plymouth had their winner on the 81st minute when David Fox produced a fine strike from 18 yards out, booking Plymouth a place in round two.

Jack Stacey

Jack Stacey’s Exeter City had a difficult afternoon at home to Luton Town. Visitors Luton went into an early lead despite a positive start from the Grecians. Ex-Royal Pierce Sweeny was adjudged to have fouled Luton’s Danny Hylton inside the area after 11 minutes, with the forward stepping up to fire home.

Exeter looked for a response and had one on the 39th minute when Reuben Reid levelled he scores from close range following Ethan Ampadu's thumping effort that came back off the post.

Luton went back in front in 72 minutes when a deep cross was bundled in at the back post by Glen Rea. The away side wrapped up the tie on the 86tt minute when Craig Mackail-Smith won a penalty. The spot-kick was coolly dispatched again by Hylton to send Luton into the next round.

Rob Dickie

Cheltenham Town faced a home tie with Crewe Alexandra as they looked to book a place in the hat for round 2. The teams could not be separated after 90 minutes at Whaddon Road, with the game ending 1-1, setting up a replay on Tuesday the 15th of November at the Alexandra Stadium.

Dickie played the full 90 minutes for Cheltenham in defence, as the Robins stay in the hunt for a place in the next round despite going down to 10 men in the first half when Kyle Storer saw red.

Dickie played a key part in the opening goal of the game for the hosts, when his close range attempt was well saved by Ben Garratt, but Billy Waters followed up to score his sixth goal of the season.

Cheltenham were unable to hang on however, and James Jones finished a well-worked move after 73 minutes to level the scores and set up a replay.

Elsewhere Royals loanee Sean Long was an unused substitute for Cambridge United as U’s were held to a 1-1 draw at the Abbey Stadium by national league side Dover. Ricky Miller grabbed a late equaliser for the visitors after Piero Mingoia opening goal, to set up a replay on the Kent coast on the evening of the 15th of November.

Advertisement block