Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U18s complete late turnaround beat Swansea 3-2

1 November 2016

Report from Hogwood as Swans have wings clipped

Our Academy lads recorded an important victory in the Under-18 Premier League on Saturday afternoon, by registering two late goals to overturn a deficit and beat visitors Swansea City 3-2 at Hogwood Park.

A young Royals squad were initially ahead in the game through winger Joel Rollinson, who took his chance at the back stick to get the ball rolling for Reading.

But Swansea, despite their position at the bottom of the table, were determined to get something from the game and levelled when Mael Davies tucked away from a set-piece scenario.  To compound matters, the Royals went in behind at half-time when Oliver Cooper finished neatly after winning the ball high upfield.

And the game remained in Swansea’s favour until the 83rd minute, when Jordan Holsgrove showed his composure to tuck in an equaliser… and then five minutes later, the winning goal followed through full-back Teddy Howe, who was alive to tuck in a spilled cross and secure three points for the Royals.

Under-18 manager David Dodds said: “We started the game really brightly with some young players – we put together a great move which started in our own half, which started with a strong run from Ade Shokunbi – he fed it into Jordan Holsgrove, who played a great little pass between their defence for Jack Nolan and he crossed first time for Joel Rollinson, who was arriving on the other side.

“Then we controlled the game, but we didn’t really step forward and get another goal to kill it off.  And disappointing we conceded an equaliser from a set-piece, which is unusual for us.  And then just before half-time, we conceded again – we dealt with the initial danger but then lost the ball on the edge of our box, and their player came in and took the chance well.

“At half-time we had a word with the lads to see what they thought; we didn’t want to have a feeling that we had left something on the pitch.  We didn’t want to be sat at the end of the game thinking, ‘we could have done better’.  And to be fair, they picked it up after the break and really controlled the game.

“It was a quite bitty – there were a lot of fouls and free-kicks, but we really controlled the game and moved them around.  And then deservedly Jordan Holsgrove equalised for us – he latched onto a mistake from their defender, went round their goalkeeper and scored from a tight angle with ten minutes to go.

“And then with a few minutes left, a cross came in from the left and their goalkeeper dropped it, and Teddy was on hand to swivel and hit it on the turn and take his finish really well.

“It was great spirit from us to be 2-1 down with 10 minutes to go and to win the game.  I think we deserved it too with the performance levels we put up.  They are always very competitive and they gave us a real tough test.”

Full-time: Reading U18 3-2 Swansea City

Reading U18: Driscoll, Howe, Green, Adimayo, Philby (Burley 32), Shokunbi, Coleman, Rollinson, Holsgrove, Nolan, Moore (Wilson 81).
Unused subs: Hillson, Denton, Sparta.

Swansea City U18: Lang, Blake, B.Cooper, Jeffries, Price, Jones, Edwards (Cabango 81), O.Cooper (Dulca 76), Fox (Roberts 69), Cullen.
Unused subs: Treacy, Causso Darame.

Advertisement block