Royals meeting the conditions head on tonightThe Royals host QPR tonight and Madejski Stadium is preparing as normal for the battle of the hoops under the floodlights.
However, as supporters may be aware, the weather forecast for this evening suggests some wintery weather may arrive in the south of England later this afternoon and into the early evening.
At this stage, we don’t have any concerns in terms of the match being played. However, a series of measures are being put in place to ensure access to and from the stadium tonight is made safe for all supporters.
• This morning’s forecast suggests: sleet between 4-5pm, moderate levels of snow between 5-7pm, light snow between 7-8pm and dry from 8pm onwards...
• Reading Borough Council intend to grit the roads as soon as the forecast rain stops – and they will prioritise the high volume roads in the town first, including the A33 and the bus routes.
• Gritting on the approach to the stadium will similarly not take place before 5pm as, with the rain which is forecast to fall during the afternoon, any grit would wash away before the anticipated colder weather is scheduled to arrive in the evening.
• However, the stadium access roads and the paved areas to the stadium are due to be gritted from 5pm to ensure the stadium is safely accessible to both home and away supporters.
• The pitch has undersoil heating, so we don’t foresee any issues with the pitch itself assuming the current forecast for moderate to light snow is accurate. And similarly, we don’t foresee any issues with drainage at the stadium should the forecast for today be accurate.
• We also intend to grit the access roads and paved areas at the stadium before the full time whistle sounds to avoid icy conditions when supporters are due to leave the stadium after the match.
• We are taking all the necessary measures to ensure the stadium is safe and accessible to all tonight. However, we would like to stress that ALL SUPPORTERS should allow additional time for their journey to the stadium. The match officials, for example, are due to arrive at the stadium earlier than normal to ensure they don’t experience any delays in reaching the stadium.
• Local weather forecasts can be unpredictable and are always liable to change. So we will continue to monitor the weather forecast for Reading and the surrounding areas during the day and update supporters accordingly.
Reading Football Club have only ever been forced to postpone one home match due to snowfall in its 18-and-a-half year Madejski Stadium history – a Championship encounter between the Royals and Newcastle United in January 2010. And we are confident that we are taking every measure to ensure that that stays the same!
Follow our Twitter account for the latest updates on the ongoing weather situation.
Tweets by @ReadingFC