Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Late Porto strikes beat spirited Royals U23s

Two late goals down the Royals in Southampton

22 September 2017

Apologies, this video is unvailable.

Reading's Under-23s fell to an agonising 2-0 defeat against Portuguese giants FC Porto in the Premier League International Cup on Friday night.

The Royals twice hit the woodwork in the first half, and looked the more likely to score throughout before Wenderson Galeno stroked home with nine minutes remaining to give the holders all three points.

This result looked to be harsh on a spirited Royals side, who had put in a sterling performance to hold the Portuguese side at Staplewood.

International Cup holders Porto settled straight into their rhythm in Southampton, quickly appearing to have the better of possession, with the Royals seemingly content to sit back and contain their movement.

Chances came in quick succession for the Portuguese side, but efforts from Ruben Macedo and Anderson Campos fell harmlessly wide of the post. 

The Royals began to grow into the game as the half wore on, Danny Loader finding a gap in defence to break into the box but goalkeeper Mouhamed Mbaye did well to react quickly and save.

Porto always carried a threat going forward, with full-back Luis Mata breaking with enormous speed to get away, he lobbed the committed George Legg but his effort bounced a yard wide.

Scott Marshall's side began to work away and find the gaps with increasing success, Josh Barrett flying through on goal with Mbaye stranded and appearing to handle outside the area in his attempts to block.

Two defenders had already chase back behind their goalkeeper and Barrett's effort went over both, but agonisingly hit the bar, with Loader's follow-up blocked.

The Royals soon had their second effort of the half to strike the woodwork after Sam Smith latched on to Jake Sheppard's cross, the goalkeeper was beaten but his header hit the post.

Porto started the second half quickly, as they had the first, with a lofted ball over the top leaving Pereira in on goal, before Omar Richards slid in and swept away the danger.

Reading still fought hard in midfield, with good efforts in quick succession from Barrett and Ryan East, before skipper Gabriel Osho put in a last-man tackle himself at the other end to keep the scores level.

However, the deadlock was broken just nine minutes from time with substitute Galeno getting on the end of a cross to finish and put the Royals behind.

The Royals went all out in search of the equaliser with two attacking substitutions, but it was to no avail as Pereira was brought down in the area, with the referee adjudging it to be a penalty.

The striker stepped up to take the spot kick, sending Legg the wrong way to secure the three points for Porto on the night.

Full-time: Reading U23 0-2 FC Porto B

Reading U23: Legg, Holmes, Osho (c), Andresson, Richards (Medford-Smith 61'), Rinomhota, Sheppard (Frost 87'), East, Smith, Barrett, Loader (House 82').
Unused subs: Howe, Driscoll, Holsgrove, Rollinson.

Advertisement block