Reading won’t enter this year’s FA Cup until the Third Round – but five of on-loan players could potentially be involved in the First Round, following Monday evening’s draw.
Dion Dublin and Dennis Wise – who played against each other for Aston Villa and Chelsea respectively in the last FA Cup Final at the old Wembley – were on hand at Hitchin Town FC to pick the numbers out of the hat.
Lewis Ward, Sam Smith, Tennai Watson, Gabriel Osho and Ade Shokunbi could all potentially feature at this stage – and there is a mixture of levels of opposition!
Ade Shokunbi made his debut for Billericay in the Third Round Qualifying, helping the Blues to a 9-1 demolition of Whitehawk. They were held at 2-2 by Evo-Stik League South side Taunton Town on Saturday in the Fourth Qualifying Round – if they can get through a replay, it’ll be a trip to Chesterfield!
Gabriel Osho made his first senior appearance in the FA Cup on Saturday in the Fourth Qualifying Round – another clean sheet for the centre-half as Aldershot eased to a 2-0 win against Kettering, the third straight win for the Shots, setting up a mouth-watering home tie against Bradford City in the First Round.
The other three players are all at EFL clubs, who enter this stage – meaning they are yet to see FA Cup action this year and therefore yet to be cup-tied to their clubs for 2018-19.
Sam Smith and League One outfit Oxford United could be involved in a home fixture against Forest Green Rovers – the League Two side also enter at this stage. And it’ll be an all-League-Two affair when Lincoln City host Northampton Town – Lewis Ward, who has made appearances in the Checkatrade Trophy and Carabao Cup, will hope to feature between the sticks for the Cobblers.
And Tennai Watson could be involved in one of the competition’s biggest mismatches at this stage; the Dons, of League One, travel to Haringey Borough, who currently sit 16th in the Bostik League Premier – the north London club entered in the Preliminary Round, meaning they’ve been past five opponents already just to make this stage!
Here is the first round draw in full…
- Haringey Borough v AFC Wimbledon
- Maidstone United v Macclesfield Town
- Ebbsfleet United v Cheltenham Town
- Hampton & Richmond Borough v Oldham Athletic
- Swindon Town v York City
- Mansfield Town v Charlton Athletic
- Torquay United v Woking
- Scunthorpe United v Burton Albion
- Port Vale v Sunderland
- Aldershot Town v Bradford City
- Grimsby Town v MK Dons
- Chorley v Doncaster Rovers
- Alfreton Town v Fleetwood Town
- Bromley v Peterborough United
- Southport v Boreham Wood or Dagenham & Redbridge
- Plymouth Argyle v Stevenage
- Chesterfield v Billericay Town or Taunton Town
- Lincoln City v Northampton Town
- Barnet v Bristol Rovers
- Yeovil Town v Stockport County
- Bury v Dover Athletic
- Gillingham v Hartlepool United
- Oxford United v Forest Green Rovers
- Tranmere Rovers v Hemel Hempstead Town or Oxford City
- Accrington Stanley v Colchester United
- Barnsley v Notts County
- Shrewsbury Town v Salford City
- Met Police v Newport County AFC
- Walsall v Coventry City
- Rochdale v Gateshead
- Hitchin Town or Leatherhead v Solihull Moors
- Sutton United v Slough Town
- Guiseley v Cambridge United
- Exeter City v Blackpool
- Luton Town v Wycombe Wanderers
- Morecambe v Warrington Town or Halifax Town
- Crewe Alexandra v Carlisle United
- Southend United v Crawley Town
- Chippenham Town or Maidenhead United v Portsmouth
- Weston-super-Mare v Harrogate Town or Wrexham