Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Ejaria and Morrison strike to earn away day victory

Superb second half display hands all three points to José Gomes' men

24 August 2019

A fabulous second half showing from the Royals earned us a comfortable 2-0 away win at the John Smith's Stadium this afternoon, courtesy of goals from Ovie Ejaria and Michael Morrison.

The hosts started the stronger, Alex Pritchard's free kick repelled by a Reading wall before Miazga and then Moore cut out low crosses from Diakhaby and Van La Parra respectively as Town earned joy down the right flank.

And the Royals were forced into an early substitution, Matt Miazga being replaced by Tom McIntyre at the back with only 11 minutes on the clock.

The first foray into the Terriers' box came from a pass from Ejaria, who threaded a low ball between defender for Joao to run onto - keeper Kamil Grabara raacing off his line to gather it ahead of the striker.

McIntyre got his chest in the way of a firm Pritchard strike midway through the half and captain Christopher Schindler glanced a header just wide from a well-directed corner soon after. The Terriers were on top.

Richards supplied a tempting cross looking for Joao but the ball was too far in front of the striker to cause trouble. And the Royals continued to spend most of their time chasing the ball and defending their box.

Appeals for a penalty from the home supporters were waved away after Boyé had outmuscled his man to win the ball back inside his own area. Brown went into the book soon after, cautioned after an ugly challenge on Yiadom.


From the resulting free kick, Swift delivered a lovely ball into the box and Moore lost his marker to glance a header on from a good position. But the ball floated harmlessly wide as we entered the final five minutes of the half.

Moore did well at the other end moments later, recovering to dispossess Pritchard as he was about to pull the trigger, then Chalobah whistled an instintive show just wide of the left upright.

In four minutes of injury time, good work from Boyé teed up Joao for a shot from distance and he stuck the keeper's palms with a rasping effort that needed parrying clear by Grabara. But the game was goalless at the interval.

Half-time: Huddersfield Town 0-0 Reading

The second half came to life with three good chances within the space of a minute.

The first fell to Huddersfield who broke clear through Grant. Forced a little wide by last man Morrison, he shot and Rafael leapt to his left to push it to safety.

Reading responded instantly and twice nearly broke the deadlock. First Swift sprung the offside trap and, surrounded by defenders, he threaded a pass to Yiadom in space inside the box to his right. Yiadom took a touch and then arrowed an effor tpast Grabara and into the shuddering crossbar.

The Royals recycled it and a low cross from the left was met by Boyé whose first time strike was brilliantly parried by the Town keeper to keep the game goalless.

The second half was proving more open and Pritchard was denied by the glove of Rafael who tipped a shot from distance over his crossbar with nearly an hour on the clock.

Swift crossed from the right looking for Joao but Grabara did enough to punch it clear under pressure. Then at the other end, Grant raced down the left and swung the ball across the Reading area to Diakhaby in acres of space on the right side of the Royals box. Richards did brilliantly to get in front of him and get a touch to his shot and direct it wide.

José Gomes brought George Pușcaș off the bench and Reading soon took the lead - through the same right boot that handed us the advantage at the Hawthorns in midweek.


A nice move began with Pușcaș and Joao and the ball was worked to the left where Richards passed inside for Ejaria. Swift and Ejaria cobined well and the latter weaved his way between defenders and into the area before placing a low right-footed effort wide of the dive of Grabara and inside the bottom left corner.

The Terriers brought Mbenza, Koroma and Campbell onto the pitch to look for an equaliser, but the Royals nearly had another when Swift beat his man down the left and cut the ball back to Joao on the edge of the box. He jinked right, left and right again before shooting but his effort was charged down.

Yiadom got on the end of an aerial ball to nod into the middle where Pușcaș lay in wait, but the Royals forward's hooked effort didn't have the power or dirtection to force a save from the keeper.

Swift saw a deflected shot go just wide soon after but frmo the resultant corner, Reading had a second!

Swift's outswinging corner was met by the head of Morrison and everyone watched as it dropped down and spun in off the inside of the left post.

Reading broke to nearly carve open another opportunity, Pușcaș scurrying into the Town box but he couldn't find Joao who had joined him in the counter attack.

Huddersfield were beaten and Reading saw out the remaining minutes with comfort, registering their first away win in the league this season. Unbeaten in four now, Reading also recorded back-to-back clean sheets.

Full-time: Huddersfield Town 0-2 Reading

Huddersfield Town: Grabara; Kongolo, Hogg, Schindler (c), Hadergjonaj, Brown, Chalobah, van La Parra (Mbenza 69), Pritchard (Campbell 75), Diakhaby (Koroma 79), Grant.
Unused Subs: Schofield, Bacuna, Elphick, O'Brien. 
Yellow: Brown

Reading: Rafael, Yiadom, Moore (c), Miazga (McIntyre 11), Morrison, Richards, Pelé, Ejaria (Rinomhota 76), Swift, João, Boyé (Pușcaș 69).
Unused Subs: Virgínia, Loader, Adam, Barrett.
Goals: Ejaria 71, Morrison 83
Yellow: Richards

Referee: Mr T Harrington

Advertisement block