Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Olise strike downs Magpies; U18s come back to beat Spurs

Fine weekend all round for youth age grou

9 December 2019

It was a positive weekend all round for our Academy teams, spearheaded by Michael Olise's strike that earned Reading's Under-23s a 1-0 win away at Newcastle United on Saturday.

A goalless first half in Northumberland saw the Magpies go close by skipper Tom Allan striking the woodwork, as well as a rifled shot from 25 yards at the other end from Josh Barrett saved well by Jake Turner in the Newcastle goal.

A lengthy passing move from Scott Marshall's side early on resulted in a Barrett cross into the box, which Adam Liddle unfortunately couldn't guide beyond Turner from close range.

The deadlock was broken early in the second half, however, when Ryan East's burst of pace to move through midfield allowed him to slip a ball through to Olise.

The playmaker bore down on goal as he ran into the area, checking onto his left foot and driving a cross-goal effort into the bottom-right corner of the net, in what proved to be the winner for the young Royals.

Reading's hosts did push for an equaliser as the match went on, with a deep corner to the far post headed down by Lewis Cass, but Coniah Boyce-Clarke was able to scramble and make a strong reaction save.

At the last, a Jamie Sterry cross was met by the head of Oisin McEntee, who headed past Boyce-Clarke with Newcastle thinking they had earned a late leveller - but the offside flag was already up against the Magpies man. The points belonged to Reading as they made the long journey home on Saturday afternoon.

Full-time | Newcastle United U23 0-1 Reading U23

Reading U23: Boyce-Clarke, Howe, McIntyre, Burley (Beeden 73), Samuels, Nditi, Coleman (Caetano 77), East, Olise, Barrett (Nolan 77), Liddle.
Subs: Granger, Azeez.
Goal: Olise (50).


Fixture News

U18s to face Toffees in PL Cup Quarter-Final

9 December 2019

Elsewhere on Saturday, Reading's Under-18s pulled off another remarkable comeback as they came from 2-0 behind to beat Tottenham Hotspur 3-2 at the weekend.

This is the third time in the young Royals' last five competitive matches they have come from behind to win, having incredibly overturned three-goal deficits against Middlesbrough and Aston Villa in recent weeks to book their place in the Quarter-Finals of the U18 Premier League Cup.

Reading fell behind early on in the first half, when an early strike from Dennis Cirkin was quickly followed up by an unfortunate own goal by Royals defender, Jeriel Dorsett.

Trailing 2-0 at the break, Reading were offered a way back into the match after a Dermi Lusala foul was punished with a penalty to the Royals. Josh Hewitt stepped up and confidently dispatched the spot kick to halve the arrears on the day.

Soon afterwards, Reading found themselves level when an arrowed cross from the right was tapped in from close range by Nelson Abbey.

Pushing to the end, the young Royals found a late winner when a shot was parried into the path of Nahum Melvin-Lambert in the final minute of normal time, who made no mistake in rebounding in and earning his side all three points.

The youngsters will need every bit of character shown at the weekend to carry on through to Thursday night, when our Under-18s take to the turf at Madejski Stadium to play Crystal Palace in the Third Round of this season's FA Youth Cup (7pm kick-off).

Full-time | Tottenham Hotspur U18 2-3 Reading U18

Reading U18: Collins, Abbey, Dorsett, Hewitt, Sackey, Neves, McGiff, Osorio, Hamilton, Melvin-Lambert, Nevers.
Goals: Hewitt (57 PEN), Abbey (65), Melvin-Lambert (90).

Advertisement block